FORUMS: list search recent posts

After disk array repair, all files are highlighted in red, unuseable

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Golden
After disk array repair, all files are highlighted in red, unuseable
on Sep 6, 2006 at 3:52:17 pm

(This is cross-posted from the Final Cut Pro forum and Huge System forum.)

I had a disk controller problem with my harddisk array and the repairs went fine with the unit being returned to me last week. In my first attempt to hook up and use the array, 99% of the Final Cut Pro-related captures and WAVs, Photoshop files, QT movies, etc are highlighted in red and none of these can be viewed or played. If I try to double click a QuickTime file that ordinarily would play fine, I see a message with the QuickTime logo saying "QuickTime cannot open the file: "xxx.mov" it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)" (Different files bring a different number in place of the -2048.)

Is this a Mac permissions problem or just what? I tried to repair permission as best I understand the process, then rebooted and got the same results. When right-clicking and looking at the file info, it shows that I have read/write permissions in all cases. If I can't remedy this I'll have to lose all and reformat, I guess. For some reason just two (both QT) of the several hundred media files WILL play. There is nothing unique about these that I can determine, but they play.

If I open a prior FCP project, the files in the Browser appear to be online and normal, but if I click on one of them I get an error message "General Error 34" and then a message saying "Error: Out of memory"

I haven't trashed preferences yet simply because all of these problems also happen OUTSIDE of FCP while simply looking at the files in Finder.

Remember that there are JPEGs that won't open along with MP3 files, AIFFs, etc. The file sizes, dates, etc. look right. The array capacity and used space look correct, too. I'm not Mac savvy enough to know the ropes here. I'd be grateful for your wisdom and experience.

Greg Golden

Power Mac G5 with 10.3.9 OS, FCP 4.5
1.5 Gigs RAM, Blackmagic Design DecklinkSP
MediaVault 1.8 Tb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]