FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't do anything that requires authorization

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spanky
Can't do anything that requires authorization
on Jun 15, 2006 at 10:42:55 pm

Never seen this before-- I noticed that I couldn't run any of my automatic updates. Each time I tried the comp would beachball until I force-quit the updater. Then I noticed that ANYTHING that required user authorization would stop responding right before it asked for the authorization. This includes adding new users, running Apple and 3rd party software or updaters, or launching apps like DiskWarrior.

I've repaired disk permissions, tried an "archive and install" from my OS disks, changed the user password, CC Cloned the disk and tried the clone on a new machine, all to no avail. Any recommendations?

BTW, running 10.4.6 on a Powermac Titanium.

Thanks in advance!

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index

Spanky
Another symptom, maybe related?
on Jun 16, 2006 at 4:10:35 pm

OK, another weird thing happening that may be related-- each time I fire up a widget, a program called "Dashboard Client" upens up in the dock. Each new widget opens another "Dashboard Client" app, and they can't be quit or removed from the dock unless the widget is closed.

Like I said--- weird...

MediaWorks, Inc.
Your Image is Our Mission; 'On Target' is Our Mantra; Satisfaction is Our Manifesto

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: Another symptom, maybe related?
on Jun 16, 2006 at 4:54:55 pm

Well I would try getting rid of those widgets that you have downloaded I would run disc utility again. I would also run plutil on both your user library preference folder and your root library preference folder.

Also you should check all the things that you have recently installed or downloaded on your computer....

When you did the archive install what did you move back from your previous system folder?...

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Spanky
on Jun 16, 2006 at 5:24:14 pm

[Simon Carlson-Thies] "When you did the archive install what did you move back from your previous system folder?."

The archive install didn't get that far-- it errored out early in the process.

As to the widget issue, I haven't added any widgets other than those that installed with the OS.

MediaWorks, Inc.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Jun 16, 2006 at 5:59:27 pm

Do you have a backup of all your data?

If you run fsck...?

You can always erase and start fresh...

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved