FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modems, Routers & Hubs

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
John Nelson
Modems, Routers & Hubs
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:36:30 pm

I'm really trying to get a handle on this but it doesn't look promising. I have a NextNet wireless modem, a Linksys 4-port router and a linksys 5-port hub.

I am trying to connect the internet to my mac and Dell pc running windows xp.

There are times when both computers work well and times when neither will connect. Today is one of those times. I have to disconnect everything and plug the modem directly into the mac in order to get online. Same goes for the pc.

I'm not using the hub at all since, from an earlier post, I was told only a router would do the trick.

I have connected the mac and pc to the router, ports 1 and 2 (uplink switch is not depressed). I then connected the modem to the internet port. I get green lights on everything but cannot get on the internet. I've tried turning everything off. Then turning on the router, modem, mac and pc. Sometimes that works. I've also tried powering down and up the router. Same goes for the modem. Sometimes that works. Sometimes not. I've tried repairing permissions on the mac. I've done disk verifications. I've run macjanitor. If all I am able to do is plug and re plug the modem directly into the two computers for them to have internet service I will go rapidly insane.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John

Roswell+1947+Cute little Greenies=Big $$$

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Modems, Routers & Hubs
on Jun 13, 2006 at 9:55:36 pm

hello...

have you tried a different router? it could be the culprit here. if you don't have the ability to do that, try just having one computer in for a while - maybe put a hub between the router and the internet and put the mac there and leave the dell on the router. if it works ok then try swapping the boxes and see how that goes...

typically a wired router won't really care who's connected to it in a proper working mode - there's a cable plugged in and so it sends and receives to that and any other port that has a cable...so if your boxes are losing network then it's likely not them but the tool that is connecting them...and if you're able to connect direclty outside it without issue, then the place i'd start is the router itself...

sitruc

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 14, 2006 at 1:28:21 am

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for your quick reply. Since I can run the internet with the router excluded, does it mean a bad router, improperly connected router or bad cable? I've swapped out cables and it doesn't make the problem go away.

Thanks,

John

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jun 14, 2006 at 2:53:30 am

hello...

ya - if you can connect directly fine and the cables are ok, then the router is what i'd target as the next likely culprit...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 15, 2006 at 12:14:19 am

On a linksys router I have to go into diagnostics via Internet Explorer and type in the IP of the router...then I have to put in my service provider in the DNS field. After I hit ok, it works fine. I run the modem into the router and the router (once configured to my internet provider, in my case charterinternet.com) feeds one of the ports on the hub. I then plug in the rest of my computers into the hub and all is well.

It might be that you have to flash the router so that it knows who your service provider is (which the modem is connected to) before it will reliably work.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 15, 2006 at 12:37:02 am

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Can you help a tired old man better understand how to do what you suggested doing? I'm using Safari and Netscape 7.2. Should I look up linksys on the net and go to their diagnostics page? Where do I find the IP of the router/provider? At their sites? Sorry for my lack of 'common sense' on these things...

Glad to know you and others understand this stuff

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 16, 2006 at 11:45:16 pm

The cable/dsl router has its own address. The only way to access its flash memory where the setting live is to open a browser (like I said Internet Explorer is best, but firefox might work) and type in the IP address of the router (it is in the book that came with the router, and it is on the disc that came with the router). Most of the install discs for routers are PC only, but there might be a text file you can open with Word and see the contents, which may contain the IP address of the router.

You type this address (string of numbers like 192.168.1.1) into the address bar of the browser. It will try to find the router on the network and if it finds it a web page looking thing comes up and has a bunch of fields for making setting changes...most of these are outlined in the book that came with the router, but the biggie and perhaps the only one you need to worry about is the one that asks for the service provider's address, like charterinternet.com, or roadrunner.net etc.

Punch that in hit OK and it updates the flash memory in the router. Then you should be good to go.

BTW, you want to have as direct a connection to the router as you can from the computer....like a direct ethernet cable to one of the routers ethernet ports...don't go through a hub or switch.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 17, 2006 at 2:53:02 am

Thanks Rich,

I'll give that a try and let you know. Right now, as is always the case with electronic and mechanical stuff, the little darlings are humming along nicely and not acting up but I'll do my homework so they'll behave themselves...

As for the connections, I have the mac and pc cables into the back of the router and the internet cable going to the modem. Not using the hub at all.

Thanks again,
John

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 17, 2006 at 3:12:32 am

OK,

I tried using IE and Netscape to enter the IP address (192.168.1.1) and both browsers timed out. Should I try another browser? Do I have to do the same thing on the mac? Inquiring minds (small ones at that) want to know...

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 18, 2006 at 3:35:48 pm

the IP address I gave was for example only....the actual address of the router is in the manual...somewhere!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 18, 2006 at 7:47:32 pm

Hi Rich,

I used the IP address listed in the instruction book and could not get to their site. Not sure why...

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 23, 2006 at 2:54:30 am

The IP address in the manual is the IP address of the router. It should ping the router and eventually load a page with several settings. Did you try it with Internet Explorer? I have found that only Explorer works for me.

So you are not going to a web site, rather you are logging into the router to make changes to the settings.

It usually takes a while to log into the router with the IP address...and don't add any www or http before it, just type in the number.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Jun 24, 2006 at 2:33:56 am

Hi Rich,

Haven't tried IE yet but will at the first opportunity. Been busy with other paid stuff. And right now, don't ask me why, all systems seem to be cooperating nicely, meaning the high speed modem seems to be talking to the router and the router seems to be sending that same high speed to both boxes. Probably should not have typed that since whenevere I say things are rosey the thorns come out and stick me right in the ___...

Anyway, I'll try your suggestion soon and I thank you very much for your follow ups and suggestions.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]