FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupted login: can't access files Please Help!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
riclbs
Corrupted login: can't access files Please Help!
on Jun 10, 2006 at 4:50:17 am

My friend has two logins on his iMac and one of them has some kind of corruption that prevents the finder from opening. I tried to access the desktop files he needs from that login from the working one but the all the folders under his login are marked with a red minus sign and I cannot open them. I checked permissions and did a get info that said that I don't have permissions access. What can I do to retrieve his files? Thanks in advance.

iMac 256k ram, 700 MHz processor

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: Corrupted login: can't access files Please Help!
on Jun 10, 2006 at 7:42:01 pm

First Backup your files as soon as you get them back...!

Try doing a safe boot and see if your computer will start... because the reason for your login troubles may be a corrupt login item

Also boot off of the system disc and verify disc... and reset your password from the same menu

if this doesn't work then...

try removing your preference folder either the easy way or via command line in single user mode see if that fixes the problem... if not post back

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

Kyle Rarey
Re: Corrupted login: can't access files Please Help!
on Jun 19, 2006 at 12:13:32 am

I recently had a similar problem with my iBook on OS 10.4

Many things I tried would work for a short time, but the ultimate solution ended up being to boot the iBook into FireWire Disk Mode (Holding gown 'T' at the startup chime, if I remember correctly), attaching it to another mac with a firewire cable, disabling permissions on the mounted HD (Get Info > Ignore Permissions on this Volume) and copying my files out before formatting and reinstalling.

Hopefully you won't have to resort to such a drastic move, but it ended up being the only thing that fixed mine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]