FORUMS: list search recent posts

choppy playback in quicktime

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris newman
choppy playback in quicktime
on May 20, 2006 at 1:38:33 pm

i have an imac G5 2ghz with 2gb ram 17" display with quicktime PRO (os 10.4.6). i've read on apple's site and many others that the HD downloads of movie trailers (H.264 compression) should play smooth no problem, but i get very choppy playback. the only thing i can think of is that the video card can't keep up, but i just read that the new mac books play these same clips back fine and they don't even have a card with dedicated VRAM. my imac does. i don't understand why i'm getting choppy playback. i have all other programs closed so the max ram is available.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Return to posts index

cow
Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: choppy playback in quicktime
on May 20, 2006 at 2:18:53 pm

What version of QT 7.1 if not download 7.1, it has much better h.264 playback performance (in previous versions of QT 7 the playback of large files was not consistent for me). Also what is the size of the video that you are playing back? Do you have High Quality mode enabled?

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

chris newman
on May 21, 2006 at 2:44:04 am

yeah, i have QT pro 7.1 and high quality mode is enabled. the movie is big. it's an HD movie trailer from apple's site at 1080p. i just thought that the specs of my computer, which are pretty good aside from it being a single processor machine (but still 2ghz), would be good enough to play content like that smoothly.

maybe those bigger files are meant for more powerful computers.

thanks for your input

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on May 21, 2006 at 3:30:37 am

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/recommendations.html

the 1080i requries dual proc according to apple, of course you can do it with less, but that may be your problem

Simon Carlson-Thies,
Digital Light Graphics And Animation

Return to posts index

chris newman
on May 22, 2006 at 5:19:41 pm

yeah, i found those same harware recommendations. i suppose i should have read those first ;)

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

alex ezorsky
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:33:45 pm

I also have choppy playback of large h.264 files in QT.

The really strange thing is that they play perfectly smooth in VLC. What is QT doing wrong?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]