FORUMS: list search recent posts

booting from install disks?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul nevison
booting from install disks?
on Apr 11, 2006 at 6:49:10 pm

hey there,

had an issue when i tried to update mac to 10.4.5...at the end of the install got the message saying that an error had occurred and that i should try reinstalling the software.

I restarted my machine and now it get's stuck on the "starting up mac osx" screen it gets to the end of the blue bar and then hangs for eternity.

what are my choices here?

can i boot from install disks or is there a keystroke boot process i can use?

thanks

G5 DP 2.0
2.0G RAM
OS 10.4.4
QT 7.0.4
FCP 5.0.4
BMD Decklink Extreme 5.4.2
PAL Land

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: booting from install disks?
on Apr 12, 2006 at 1:45:47 am

Restart while holding down the mouse button. The CD drive should eject. Put your OS CD in and restart again holding down the "C" key. That will boot off the disc.

At that point I'd find the disc utility and repair the permissions on your hard drive. Then look for the "Startup Disc" selection in the menu and switch back to the internal drive and restart.

If THAT doesn't do anything restart the computer. AFTER you hear the boot up chime (NOT BEFORE!) hold down the shift key. That goes into Safe-boot-mode. If that works try to re-install the update.

If all of this fails, do you have access to a 2nd Mac? You may have to hook both computers up with a firewire cable and restart your broken machine while holding "T" down. It will become a firewire drive on the 2nd Mac's desktop. Open it up, get all of your files off and then boot it up from the CD again, erase the hard drive and reinstall the OS.

Before you do that, someone else here may have an idea. That would be a last-case scenario if nothing else works.

Return to posts index

paul nevison
Re: booting from install disks?
on Apr 12, 2006 at 9:42:19 am

thanks Jeff

I'll try those options and report back!

fingers crossed!

G5 DP 2.0
2.0G RAM
OS 10.4.4
QT 7.0.4
FCP 5.0.4
PAL Land

Return to posts index

paul nevison
Re: booting from install disks? progress so far
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:39:33 am

after several attempts the install off the disk option allowed me to install osx on my second internal drive. this allows me to see the problem drive and i can copy the files from it to my second internal drive.

do you know which files i should copy across ie my fcp pluggins folder or is it better to reinstall these from scratch?

thanks

G5 DP 2.0
2.0G RAM
OS 10.4.4
QT 7.0.4
FCP 5.0.4
PAL Land

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: booting from install disks? progress so far
on Apr 12, 2006 at 2:42:03 pm

Personally if you are going to go to all the trouble of re-installing your system I would go ahead and re-install everything, it forces you to figure out what things you need and what things you don't really need.

Just my opinion

Best of luck

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]