FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screen saver won't stay off

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George
Screen saver won't stay off
on Apr 7, 2006 at 10:35:01 pm

My drives, system, monitors and screen saver are set to NEVER, but the screen saver won't stay off.

When it comes on during an FCP or Motion render, it sometimes freezes or crashes the Mac. I end up with a screen saver, no mouse and no keyboard. The only way I can get back into the Mac is to hold the power button. Then, of couse, the render is gone. For long renders I have to stay at the computer, moving the mouse. This is a major pita at 2 am.

I have formatted the drive and done a clean install up to 10.4.5, FCP 5 suite, etc., no help.

I've posted to Apple OSX forums without luck. Several people there report having the problem, but have not listed their full system setup. I thought it might be an FPC related issue. Guess not if I'm the only one.

I tried creating a new user acount as suggested on the Apple forum, no luck. I've tried a complete format and clean install, no luck. Apple and Tooltech

Pro 4 show all hardware is OK. System specs are in my profile.

Still getting a screen saver after 10 -15 minutes, even while rendering FCP or Motion. Moving the mouse prevents the screensaver from comming on.

Anyone know how to fix this?

George

Light Images

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Screen saver won't stay off
on Apr 12, 2006 at 11:02:58 pm

Hi George,

Try resetting the smu on your Mac. Then check your prefs again to make sure Screen saver and Energy Saver are set to off/never. I'd set processor performance to "highest" as well. Just for the heck of it I'd set all the "hot corners" to - (nothing) and try using a stock mouse while testing. Disabling and/or detaching other 3rd party hardware/software is recommended while testing. If none of that helps, maybe it could be related to a set of plugins you are using?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341 (for smu reset instructions - guessed at which Mac you have)

Tony!

Return to posts index

George
Re: Screen saver won't stay off
on Apr 21, 2006 at 6:55:45 am

Tony -

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it didn't help. Screensaver still comes on after 10 to 15 minutes, even though it is set to Never.

Any other ideas?

George

Light Images

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]