FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot Repair Permissions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce
Cannot Repair Permissions
on Apr 4, 2006 at 8:13:55 pm

Our beautiful IT group came down one day to put Symantec Anti-Virus on my Mac. I had no choice in the matter. (These are the same people who for years wouldn't support our Macs but now feel the need to ball them up). Since that time when I go to disk utility to repair my permissions on my Macintosh hard drive it fails and gives me a "No Valid Packages" error. Where do you think I should start? I called IT but they have no idea (imagine that)!

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: Cannot Repair Permissions
on Apr 4, 2006 at 8:30:48 pm

Think back over all of the things that have changed since the computer started having problems. It sounds like the problem is related to anti virus...

Try this:

Can you disable Anti Virus? if so try repairing permissions, if not try booting off the system CD run disk utility to verify the disk to make sure your file structure is intact. See if that helps...

Best of luck

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Apr 4, 2006 at 9:19:01 pm

And while you've booted off the OS X CD like Simon said (hold C while restarting with the CD in) you should try repairing permissions from the software on the CD itself.

Might work then.

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
on Apr 4, 2006 at 9:49:42 pm

Just be careful if you repair permissions off the disc that the version of the system that the disc boots into is the same as your installed system.. otherwise you'll screw up your permission in a big way.

Best of luck.

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Bruce
on Apr 5, 2006 at 11:54:45 am

Thanks for everyone's help I did a disk repair from my startup disk and it did fix problems. Also there is a file called BaseSystem.pkg that resides in your Library/Reciepts folder mine had disappeared for some reason so I took it out of another system we were running and now I can repair permissions no problem. Thanks for everyone's help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]