FORUMS: list search recent posts

want to do a clean install on my G4 Powerbook.... but I want to keep the widgets and a few other things

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd George
want to do a clean install on my G4 Powerbook.... but I want to keep the widgets and a few other things
on Mar 31, 2006 at 12:55:11 pm

Hello all

bad OS 9 habits die hard I guess....

I am going to install FCP5 on my G4 Powerbook (running 10.4.5 with a 1.5ghz processor and 1 gig of ram)

but I want to keep the widgets and I have a few fonts I want to keep and the address book

I know most of those items can be found in the library folde of the user but I would like to make sure I get everything before I zero out the drive

thanks for any help you can provide

take care

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: want to do a clean install on my G4 Powerbook.... but I want to keep the widgets and a few other things
on Mar 31, 2006 at 1:39:46 pm

Ceck your Address Book to see if the File menu contains the selection "Back Up Address" book. Depending on what version you have it may or may not be there. If it DOES, just do that. It will save a single file. Put that on a CD or load it onto a web server somewhere. Later, you select "Revert" in the new Address Book and select that file.

As for the rest...do you have an external drive (or iPod) that has at least 10 GB of space? What I do in these situations is to copy the main Library AND the library in my "Users" folder onto an external drive. (Be sure to clearly label which is which!) Then, after I re-instal I can hand pick through them and find the stuff I need. After a week or so I feel pretty safe that I've got everything and I erase the copies.

This takes the burden off of me to remember everything right now. If I think of something later, I can go get it.

You can get external 80 GB hard drives for $99 now, so even if you don't have something I would suggest buying one. It will be very useful now and after this is done you can use the drive to periodically back up your library folders in case something happens to your laptop's drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]