FORUMS: list search recent posts

Probelms Installing OS X Tiger

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howie
Probelms Installing OS X Tiger
on Mar 26, 2006 at 2:15:30 am

Hello Group

I am having trouble installing OS X Tiger on a clean system drive partition. I have been using OS 9.2.2 for the longest time and now want to upgrade to OS X. I am using a Mac G4 733, with Super Drive, and 768 MB of SDRAM.

I have configured my brand new 80 gig system drive into 3 partitions:

1. OS 9 - 25 gig - running OS 9.2.2
2. OS X - 42 gig - reserved for OS X Tiger
3. Free Storage - 1.28 gig - no OS

I followed the OS X Installation disc instructions and selected "Install Mac OS X for the first time".
After about 30 minutes the installation was complete and the computer restarted itself. The first OS X start-up screen with the grey apple appeared. The apple was then replaaced by the "Do not" symbol, the circle with the line through it. The computer kept hanging and did nothing further. I let it hang for about 10 minutes before I shut it down. I then restarted from a CD to get back to the OS 9 partition.

Why am I unable to install OS X?

Do I need to install an earlier version of OS X first, and then upgrade to Tiger?

According to the Tiger manual I should be able to install this OS without any problems on my system.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Howie

Return to posts index

Simon Carlson-Thies
Re: Probelms Installing OS X Tiger
on Mar 27, 2006 at 1:53:25 am

Get rid of the partions completly install tiger then install classic support, you should be fine then. The partion thing isn't necessary in Tiger infact thats most likely causing you all your problems.

best of luck

Simon Carlson-Thies

Return to posts index

Howie
on Mar 27, 2006 at 4:06:42 am

Hi Simon

The reason I was keeping an OS 9 partition is beacause I only have OS 9 programs and applications and don't have any OS X programs.

Is there any way to maintain these 2 partitions?

Thanks

Howie

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Mar 27, 2006 at 2:02:09 pm

Is there any way to maintain these 2 partitions?
=======

As Simon said, there's no reason to. Instal Tiger, then instal OS 9 on the same hard drive.

It may take a little while, but you should read all of the articles on this page:

http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/classic/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]