FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for Archive Solutions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dillon81
Looking for Archive Solutions
on Mar 14, 2006 at 4:26:18 pm

I am archiving a large (400+GB) project onto SDLT. I am looking for reliable archiving software compatible with OSX ver10.4.5.

I am working on a G5 connected to a Quantum SDLT 320 deck by an Atto Express PCI PRO UL366 card. In my research I have come up with a couple of potential archive programs: The Tolis Group's BRU LE or the EMC Retrospect.

Has anyone had experience with these programs or are there other programs that you would recommend?

Thanks

Return to posts index

themightyviking
Re: Looking for Archive Solutions
on Mar 14, 2006 at 5:03:08 pm

Go Tolis! The best thing about Tolis is the tech support. They love talking to their customers.

TMV

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Looking for Archive Solutions
on Mar 14, 2006 at 8:19:35 pm

Retrospect has dominated the Mac backup software market since the early 90's. It works and has some nice features. The company has pretty good tech-support as well. However, the interface has always been wonky (as in not intuitive) and there have been some compatibility issues on and off over the last few years. None the less its still a good choice and should be considered. I don't have a recommendation at this time, just research all the options and go with the one that you like and whatever you feel will be around for many years.

I will say, that we stopped using DLT's and other tape backup systems along time ago (except for a couple of my clients). We found its far more cost effective, quicker (both to backup and to restore), and easier to backup to hard drives. you can buy ATA or SATA drives for cheap. You can pop them in a Firewire/USB case or use something like Wiebetech's Drive Docks to connect bare drives to your Mac for backups. When you're done, you just stack the bare drive on a shelf somewhere. If you need data off of the drive, it takes seconds to reconnect it and get your data. In most cases you can work right off the drive and so have zero restore time. We buy a drive for each project (unless they are small) and just add it to what we bill the client. Anyway, just my $.02.

http://www.wiebetech.com/includes/home/featuredproduct.php?item=3

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]