FORUMS: list search recent posts

System Locking Up

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Carpenter
System Locking Up
on Mar 13, 2006 at 12:24:10 am

I have a new 20" Intel iMac with upgraded video card. 2 GB of RAM. I've been having LOTS of problems with the dock freezing, System Preferences taking over 1 minute to open, and lots and lots of spinning beachballs when NO programs are running. I had some similar problems early on which I traced to network drives trying to connect and being unable too...once I stopped them from trying to auto-connect the problems seemed to go away. For a little while, anyway.

Now they're back and they're worse than ever. I looked in the Activity Monitor and find that each time there are two things listed as "Not Responding." They are:
LOGINWINDOW
AFP Client

So what's the deal with those guys? Do you think they are the problem or are they a symptom of something else that is wrong? (Should I be using 1 of my RAM chips at a time to see if one of them could be bad?)

I'm just about to wipe the drive and re-install, but that's a big time investment to get everything set up again and copy all of my files back and forth to another computer. I'd really like to avoid that if possible, especially since I don't know if it will help!

I'm just looking for any ideas people might have.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: More Info
on Mar 13, 2006 at 1:06:40 am

I let it sit for half an hour, and eventually it came up with a note that it is unable to connect to my G5. (Note that the G5 has no problem connecting to the iMac and transferring files between them.)

So I'm not sure why it can't connect, but that shouldn't be an issue...it shouldn't be locking up my computer for half an hour because it can't find a network drive! That seems to be what's going on, though...it can't find my G5 so it freaks out and won't let me do much of anything.

I'll mess around with trying to get it to actually connect, but as I said, there's more wrong here than just that. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Yet More Info
on Mar 13, 2006 at 3:01:07 pm

After leaving it alone last night it eventually logged onto all the network drives it was having trouble finding. (I had taken them out of the "login" portion of my user preferences, but they eventually came online by themselves later.)

This solved all my problems and the system seems happy.

But this still seems wrong to me. The computer should be able to exist without all the drives being loaded, but at the moment it seems to be VERY unhappy whenever that happens!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]