FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC Monitor on a Mac!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Underbelly
PC Monitor on a Mac!
on Mar 9, 2006 at 6:03:58 pm

Simple Question. Can I use a LCD Monitor that specifys PC with a Mac? Is there anything I should know? I'm interested in the "EIZO FlexScan S2410W"

I am recommending these for our Graphics Department.

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Underbelly
Re: PC Monitor on a Mac!
on Mar 9, 2006 at 6:09:08 pm

Also if anyone has any advice for LCD Flat panel monitors for graphic design were color accuracy is a must, it would great!

thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Mar 9, 2006 at 9:44:14 pm

Most PC monitors will work fine with Mac's. But you didn't tell us which Mac's and which graphic cards you're using so you may need adapters (which can be expensive) if your current Mac graphic cards are using ADC or VGA connections, instead of DVI. If you need to run two monitors (required for most graphics departments) you'll need to know which connections you have on your Mac graphic cards as they are very possibly not the same (one ADC and one DVI, etc). You'd probably be better off upgrading the graphic cards in the Mac's that don't have the DVI connections you need, rather than buying adapters. Adapters can affect the color accuracy.

Of course, monitors are never going to match print work. You can sometimes get fairly close with various calibration tools, but proofs are always recommended when accuracy counts.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Mar 9, 2006 at 10:14:02 pm

Thanks Tony,

We are all running G5's with the original graphic's card that comes with them. Right now everyone has a old CRT and each one is different. Many have adapters and things to make the monitors work. But the connection is the standard mac connection.

As far as 2 monitors. I don't think so. I'd love it but I think it's going to be pulling teeth to get them to buy 1 decent monitor with calibration equipment. I mostly do photoshop work with an old Viewsonic monitor that, as far as I know has never been calibrated. (Although I'm pretty good as using CMYK and RGB values when I have too).

I do know about a monitor never matching printed work but I'd a least like to be close!

I guess me real question should have been if there is any issues, like color calibration if I use a PC monitor on a Mac. I'd just hate for this company to invest $2000 in a monitor and find some little quirk that makes it hard to use or calibrate!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Mar 14, 2006 at 8:53:15 am

[Underbelly] "We are all running G5's with the original graphic's card that comes with them"

There must be 10 or maybe 15 different graphic cards that could have shipped in the G5's. It all depends on which G5, when it was purchased, and which card you chose at the time (usually they had more than one option for graphic cards). Some of the cards had ADC connections and VGA connections. Some ADC and DVI. And some only DVI. Just make sure what you have matches what you're buying. There is no standard Mac monitor connection. There is no standard Mac monitor connection even on just G5's.

[Underbelly] "I mostly do photoshop work with an old Viewsonic monitor that, as far as I know has never been calibrated. (Although I'm pretty good as using CMYK and RGB values when I have too). "

This is a company doesn't care about color and is too cheap to give you the equipment to do your job. I wouldn't worry about it. Get proofs and adjust whatever monitor you get to match them as closely as possible. At a minimum try to make sure the lighting in your office is consistent at all times of the day, and remove any strong colors near you that can affect your perception of what you are seeing on screen. We'd always paint our rooms a neutral gray special bulbs for lighting. There are tons of books and internet info on the subject. I would do as much research as possible before making any purchase decisions. If you're really good at color correction & Photoshop, you can adjust color even with your monitor set to black and while, but proofs are the only way you're going to have a good idea of what the final result will be. You maybe able to calibrate your office color printer to come fairly close to the proofs if you invest some time, and if its a decent printer. This can help you in the future, by at least letting you know you're on the right track. Keep in mind that monitors change over time and so you have to color match or calibrate them often as they age.

![Underbelly] "I guess me real question should have been if there is any issues, like color calibration if I use a PC monitor on a Mac. I'd just hate for this company to invest $2000 in a monitor and find some little quirk that makes it hard to use or calibrate!"

I believe the manufacturers website has many of the answers you seek in their compatibility section. Some of the info is a bit dated, and there maybe some issues with sleep, and other things, when using it on a Mac (instead of the Apple Cinema Displays). However, it sounds like it should work well for you needs. Research it more, and you'll make a good choice.

http://www.eizo.com/support/compatibility/index.asp

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]