FORUMS: list search recent posts

lost all data in Itunes and Iphotos

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mango7
lost all data in Itunes and Iphotos
on Feb 2, 2006 at 4:14:15 pm

Hi there!

I have a Mac OS X version 10.3.8 on a power Mac G5.
I used to share my computer with my partner and when you log in after switching the machine on, you have to type in the name and password.
It always has been 'Nick XX' but one day I decided that as we were not sharing the computer anymore I should replace the 'Nick XX' by 'Christine XX'.
For that I believe I went to Mackintosh HD and there clicked on users and tried to change it there. It created a Christine file and the Nick file is still there but a lot of things went missing since that experiment.

The computer never accepted the log in name change and I still have to used 'Nick XX'.

All the hundreds of photos in Iphotos have gone missing and all the music in Itunes are gone too (apart from someone else's music library created by someone who used the computer last June for a while).

Also, since that time when I tried changing the log in name, an error has appeared and stops me from working on my editing program Avid Xpress Pro: this error is a Mac error 36 (I/O) and it won't let me play my sequence.
I went online and saw that it could be something to do with bent electrical cables so I fiddled around and it went. Now this error is back and I'm having more problems with my editing (picture jumps every 5 seconds and there are digital code breaks on the picture) which could be a Mac problem interfering. I have just put a post in the Avid Editing forum.

PLEASE HELP!!! THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: lost all data in Itunes and Iphotos
on Feb 10, 2006 at 7:21:29 pm

Okay, no one else has repsonded so....

You can't set up a new "user" simply by changing a folder name. You have to go through the System Preferences. Changing the folder name of a user can have all sorts of bad effects. Try changing the name BACK to what it was and then when the new user folder appears from using System Preferences, move over the files you want the new user to have.

Let me know how it goes...

Return to posts index

Mango7
Re: lost all data in Itunes and Iphotos
on Feb 10, 2006 at 11:24:17 pm

Hi Mark!

Thank you so much for coming to my rescue.

I managed to get my photos and music back today at long last! Great feeling...

Now, I have this mac error 36 to sort out on my edit sequence in Avid Xpress Pro and I've had to repost as no one has yet answered me since Feb 2nd... If you know anybody who could help I would be sooo grateful...

Thanks again!

Have a great weekend!

Christine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]