FORUMS: list search recent posts

Error -1390

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ganer13
Error -1390
on Jan 17, 2006 at 8:35:53 pm

I'm having trouble backing up projects that are greater than 4 gb. I know that I've done something wrong. MY SET UP: moving files off my MAC to a firewire drive then to back up tapes. The problem lies with moving the files to the external fw drive. suggestions?

gs

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Error -1390
on Jan 17, 2006 at 9:40:44 pm

[Ganer13] "I'm having trouble backing up projects that are greater than 4 gb"

What kind of projects (Final Cut, After Effects, DVDSP, etc)? What exactly is the problem you are having? Do you get an error message - if so, what? What happens exactly?

[Ganer13] "The problem lies with moving the files to the external fw drive. suggestions? "

A lot more details would really help us guess/diagnose the problem:

How are you moving them off (Retrospect, Carbon Copy, Finder drag and drop, etc)?

What OS are you using (be specific - 10.4.4, etc)?

What kind of Mac do you have (exact model please)?

What Firewire drive are you using (brand, model, age, size)?

Is the drive plugged into your Mac directly or are you using a Firewire card?

What have you done so far to try and troubleshoot the issue (for example: repaired the permissions and drive using Disk Utility or Disk Warrior, updated the firmware on your Firewire drive, removed any other devices plugged into your Mac that could be interfering - especially other Firewire devices, updated your OS, etc)?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but we can't see your setup and can only rely on your words to describe the issue. The devil is usually in the details and is not a generic problem across all Mac's and OS versions. Most likely, I'm guessing its a problem with your Firewire drive, but that's just a guess based on almost zero info as I don't even know what the problem is exactly (check with the drive manufacturer for updates - see their website).

Tony!

Return to posts index

Ganer13
on Jan 17, 2006 at 10:33:00 pm

I'm moving project folders (which contain Final Cup Pro Files, Video .mov, After effects files, Live Type Files, MicroSoft (Labels, Scripts), DVD Studio Pro Files & Renders, any and all other files which you would normally see in commercial production) to be backed up. I'm using the finder to move the files.

ERROR MESSAGE: Error -1309 and stops coping the files at that point.

MY COMPUTER: Mac Dual 2.7 GHz Power PC G5. OS X 10.4.3.

The Firewire Drives are the unknown. Generic Firewire drives that have served here as shuttles for information that would take too long over the network. (NOTE: This same error occures when I try to use the network to transport files directly to the computer that does the backups. An older Windows box that serves as a "server")

The Drive is plugged directly to the front of my G5.

I haven't really tried to trouble shoot as of yet, B/C It works fine as long as the project folders are small???

gs

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 18, 2006 at 6:05:22 am

If you haven't formatted the FW drive in Mac OS Extended then you'd better do that before attempting to transfer files. If, for some reason, the FW drive was formatted in FAT32 then it won't accept files greater than 4 Gbytes in size. FYI FAT32 is the format that enables both Mac and Windows machines to file share........up to a point.

- Don

Return to posts index

Ganer13
on Jan 18, 2006 at 3:19:45 pm

Thanks Don, that makes since.
gs

gs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]