FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small confustion with the new universal stuff....

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LokiDrummer
Small confustion with the new universal stuff....
on Jan 15, 2006 at 2:25:51 am

Hi, with apple coming out with these "universal" applications does that mean that some will be able to run on a standard PC? Just wondering, i think i'll stick with the mac though :)

-William

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Small confustion with the new universal stuff....
on Jan 15, 2006 at 2:36:54 am

No, they won't ever work on a standard PC running Windows (ever might be too strong, but don't count it). The "universal" app's will only run under OS X (Intel version & Power PC versions). OS X will not run on any PC other than an Apple Mac. I doubt that will change anytime soon, but anything is possible.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
A NEW question about Universal...
on Jan 15, 2006 at 8:55:29 pm

Since your question has been answerd I hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread with a related question:

Does anyone know of a master list of programs that already universal? I can't find anything like that on Apple's site. Like, I know that all the iLife programs are now, and I hear you can pay to trade in FCP for a Universal disc. But I'd like to have some kind of main list if someone's keeping track.

Anyone heard of something like that?

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: A NEW question about Universal...
on Jan 15, 2006 at 11:45:31 pm

Hi Jeff,

On March 31st Apple is planning on releasing the Universal versions of their Pro Apps. However, at NAB in late April, they should be announcing and/or shipping new versions of many/most/all of the pro app's (especially Final Cut Pro). As far as other companies converting, we should see a flood of them in the coming months. However, there maybe some delays with the more difficult to port applications like Adobe's Creative Suite and Microsoft Office (both company's have pledged support for the new Intel Mac's). While the software developers all knew it was coming, Apple surprised most by releasing the new Intel Mac's months ahead of schedule. On the bright side, Quark, did have a beta running on an Intel Mac at MacWorld.

All developers will be adding a "Universal" logo to their software that will run on both Intel and current PowerPC Mac's. Here's one list of currently released "Universal" software (expect it to grow quickly): http://www.versiontracker.com/macintel/updates/ they will be updating it regularly.

Interestingly, there is a good chance that Microsoft's new OS Longhorn may run on Apple (intel) Mac's when its released. Apple has said they'd do nothing to prevent Window's from running on their hardware. The current aging versions of Window's most likely will not run on the new Intel Mac's simply because it doesn't support some of the newer technology that Apple and Intel are using. However, expect a new version of Virtual PC to be released in the coming months that will solve (bandage) that problem. I think Apple feels that Window's is no match for OS X when users actually get their hands on both side by side, but at the same time they realize many people have to use it for work. So if they are required ore want to use Window's from time to time, they might as well use it on Apple's hardware. That way they can still enjoy the whole Mac (OS X, iApp's, Pro App's) experience the rest of the time. I believe a lot of people/company's will see the logic in this.

Tony!

P.S. Oh, for you gamers. Blizzard is first out of the gates with with their very popular MMORPG game World of Warcraft running on an Intel iMac at MacWorld this month. The game was running amazingly fast and looked awesome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]