FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compatibility of a G5 dual core and Intel Based Software

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hopperHD
Compatibility of a G5 dual core and Intel Based Software
on Jan 12, 2006 at 6:02:42 pm

I wondering if anyone heard if G5 towers were also changing to Intel processors in 2006. Secondly, if I was to buy a new G5 now, would I be able to run Intel based software on it down the road?

Thanks,
Jason

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: Compatibility of a G5 dual core and Intel Based Software
on Jan 12, 2006 at 9:25:50 pm

[hopperHD] "I wondering if anyone heard if G5 towers were also changing to Intel processors in 2006. Secondly, if I was to buy a new G5 now, would I be able to run Intel based software on it down the road?"

The new Intel Towers are supposed to be out within the year. The 1st gen MacTels are all 32 bit, so it will be interesting to see what they do on the Pro towers... What's gonna smoke the Quad?

You won't ever be able to run _Intel only_ based software on a G5, AFAIK Rosetta is a one way effort (G5 to Intel.

However Apple is propagating a Universal Code Base for both the PPC and Intel machines.

Best bet right now is to take a look at Apples own pages:

http://www.apple.com/universal/

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 12, 2006 at 11:30:19 pm

Gunleik, is correct. Apple has vowed to switch their entire line to Intel this year. Many/most of us believe the pro towers will be the last ones to make the change as there is no reason to change them before there is more pro software converted to run on them (Apple's own pro apps won't switch until March, with Adobe and others probably a good bit behind). Also, the Quads are not very old and need to run their course.

Most of the software being converted to Intel will be done in a universal code that will allow them to run on both the older (non-Intel) Mac's and the new ones. No Intel only software will ever run on the older/current towers without using an emulation software like Vitual PC (not a great solution for many applications and probably a short lived and limited solution).

Bottom-line, if you need a new Mac for work, then get the best one you can now and plan on updating/replacing it again next year or so, probably waiting for the second generation of the Intel Mac towers. This is not a bad way to go and possibly the wisest plan. But, if you want to be on the cutting edge and be able to run all the latest software as soon as possible, then you may want to hold off buying anything and wait for the Intel models. Keep in mind it might not be until the end of this year before we see those new towers. It looks like most of us pro's, that have G5's already, are going to wait for at least 1st generation Intel Mac's before buying anything new (skipping the Quads all together). However, even when we do get our new Intel Mac's, we'll likely keep a couple older/current models around just incase the first generation have issues. If I didn't have a G5 right now, then it would be a tough choice. If you're not buying it for work, but mostly personal use, then I'd probably buy a used G5 2.7 to hold me over until I feel its safe to switch to the Intel Mac's (wait until the early adopters have had time to find the bugs). It really depends on your budget and how often you can afford to upgrade to a new model. The goal is to get an Intel Mac within the first two generations, at least for us that live, work and breath Apple :)

Tony!

Return to posts index

hopperHD
on Jan 12, 2006 at 11:43:30 pm

Thanks for your insight. It looks like I'll be peeling off a few Benj's now and later! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]