FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems w/Tiger?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Scarpino
Problems w/Tiger?
on Jan 11, 2006 at 1:32:44 pm

While looking at the Apple site for OS X, I found a forum where "a bunch" of people wrote in complaining of issues after updating to Tiger.

I'm not sure I've seen alot of this here, but I'm wondering, in general, do folks thing that updating to Tiger (10.4.3) is a good idea right now.

Thanks for your consideration,

Tim

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
Re: Problems w/Tiger?
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:20:52 pm

I'm running 10.4.3 on 3 machines (all dual G5's) with no problems. Also 10.4.4 is out now.. but I'm not gonna make that move quite yet.

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.4.1

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 15, 2006 at 2:33:10 am

I've had zero problems with 10.4.4 and 10.4.3 on any of my G5's (no experience with Tiger on older Mac's). As long as you repair startup drive and the permissions, using Disk Utility and/or an application like Disk Warrior (recommended), before and after the upgrade you should be fine. Double check with any critical 3rd party hardware or software developers to be sure their products are compatible. I always backup/clone my current startup drive to another drive using an application like these:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260 (Cabon Copy Cloner)
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22126 (SuperDuper!)

That way, I can always go back to the working system if there's a big problem. In general, I'd say go for it. Every update, by just about every company, has a complaints from users about problems. What you don't see is the very large majority of users are having almost no problems with the updates. By doing the things I recommend above, you chance of having any serious issues is reduced even further.

Tony!

Return to posts index

chrisondoradrive
on Jan 18, 2006 at 2:26:40 pm

I have installed Tiger on my G4 Powerbook twice and even after a clean install (erase and install) the computer slows to a crawl and eventually refuses to boot.
I'm at wits end. Any brilliant ideas out there?

Chris

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jan 22, 2006 at 1:57:58 am

enough ram?

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]