FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't log in HELP!~

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Vick
Can't log in HELP!~
on Jan 10, 2006 at 8:18:08 pm

I started an upgrade to X.4.3 I first used Carbon Cloner to back up my system drive to a firewire drive. I already have a back up on there but thought it best to make sure the most recent of everyting is backed up before beginning. The clone did not go well as many items ran into an error. Eventually I stopped the process. Then trying to restart and log in the system would hang when selecting the user (mine). First it would hang without getting to the password prompt. Then it would make it to the prompt, allow me to input the password, hang some more (roughly 30 sec) and then deny the password. After several attemps, it prompted a password reset. But the master would not work either. The same happens for any user account. I cannot restart holding the C key to start from a disc as the tray never opens. It just goes to the log in window, nor can I use the option key to start from other bootable drives. What can I do????

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
Re: Can't log in HELP!~
on Jan 10, 2006 at 8:18:48 pm

I am currently at 10.3.9 on a dual 2 G5.

b

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 11, 2006 at 12:41:00 am

Hey Bob,

Startup while holding the mouse button down. This should open your CD/DVD tray so you can put in the installer disk and reboot. Run Disk Utilities on the startup drive (repair permissions too). Restart and see if everything works. If not, you can reset the password by booting off the installer disk again and choosing that option.

You probably didn't repair your drive and permissions before doing your clone and/or update. Most of the problems I see are related to that, although, 3 party device plugged into your machine can be another source of problems/errors.

If nothing else, do an Archive and Install or Clean Install off your OS X installer disk and then upgrade from there. Apple will be releasing OS 10.4.4 today, so I'd wait for that unless you're worried about possible compatibility issues with the new OS version (which no one knows for sure what will work and what may not).

Tony!

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Jan 11, 2006 at 12:52:10 pm

Thanks Tony! I have started repairs. I completely forgot the mouse button until staring at it. Maybe it spoke to me. I did NOT repair before cloning and I did have a usb cable for my still camera plugged in. Not sure if that mattered. Just that nothing was really cloning. After each section an error would come up saying that the copy basically failed. I tried reparing permissions from the start up disk but it was sooooo slow that I coulcn't tell if it was really moving. More work today. Thanks for the motivation and education.

b

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 11, 2006 at 10:01:31 pm

np Bob, I hope you get it working soon. I suggest making sure you have the latest version of CCC. Also, I highly recommend DiskWarrior as it can repair problems that Disk Utility can't (get the latest version of it as well). Repair those permissions. OS X is very finicky about that.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260

Tony!

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Jan 11, 2006 at 11:24:28 pm

Took 2hours two hours to repair permissions with the CD, but it did. Did a restart and then tried to repair the disk from the CD but it could not. Could not unmount the drive. And even with the permissions repaired I still could not get into the system. Something really must have went bad. Never had this much trouble.

I will get DWarrior for repairs. In the meantime I just ended up erasing the drive to install Tiger. Let you all know how it goes.

b

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]