How to avoid new installation??

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric
How to avoid new installation??
by
on Jan 5, 2006 at 3:19:30 pm

Happy New Year Cow Members!

After a long struggel with Apple they exchanged a constant pain in the ass, our old G5 DP 2.0. I have the old harddrive with everything still on it as a second drive in my new 2.3 now. The new MAC is running Tiger of course whereas the old one was still running panther.
I don

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: How to avoid new installation??
on Jan 5, 2006 at 4:14:24 pm

I'd say you're better off doing clean installs.

It is sorta conceivable to think that you could upgrade your Panther disk with the
new Tiger DVD's, and it might be worth a try. If you go this route:

1. Remove alle none-apple extensions (controll panes etc)
2. Do an Archive and install.

Then start from your DVD with the C button pushed

The clean "Upgrade" option is notorious for giving loads of problems and I had a
far too long time with a partly nonfunctional system going this route.

The hours saved was quickly snatched back by Tiger, so to speak.

You'll have to brace yourself for some reinstalls if you're choosing this route and have
systemspecific authorizing for some of your software (Like the NI things)

Also there are quite a few programs that needs updates to function properly under Tiger.

That said. Tiger is a good pal of mine by 10.4.3.
Spotlight is pretty annoying though.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Jan 6, 2006 at 2:41:13 am

Just launch the "Migration Assistant.app" found in your Tiger startup disks Applications > Utilities folder. It will grab all your applications, user accounts, files, network setting, etc from your old drive. Its quick and easy. You may have to upgrade a couple apps to work with Tiger or maybe redo a serial number or two, but for the most part its easy as can be.

The other option that is also easy and possibly even less problematic is to just upgrade old drive to Tiger and then boot off of it.

Tony!

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:22:09 am

I've used the migration utility and it works like a charm other than the occasional need to revalidate your registration number or update an app to make it compatible with new OS. I updated from 10.2 to 10.3 and didn't lose a beat. Maybe in some way it's not as clean but I'm not sure how. Be sure to back everything up before you begin and repair permissions before and after. FCP wanted me to reinsert the original disc after the update. MS Word needed me to reconnect certain templates with certain documents. Other than that everything looked the same other than the new features. Painless. You might want to do a quick search on the net for each of your applications to see if they are compatible and if any updates are needed or preferred. And clone your entire drive onto a backup drive just in case you want to begin again or if you want to boot into your old system to finish something that is not working in new system.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]