FORUMS: list search recent posts

grindingly slow DP G5 2.0

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
linkoping skrills
grindingly slow DP G5 2.0
on Jan 4, 2006 at 8:45:51 am

the past week i have noticed my dual 2.0 G5 (2.5gb RAM) get way slow even on finder functions, and im not talking copying huge files or things requiring huge chunks of ram between ram hungry apps. what im getting is the beachball for 5 seconds even clicking between drives in the upper left portion of the finders drive window. I am running 10.4.2, and havent installed all that much new lately, and have tried repairing permissions already and restarting. my media drive is also all of a sudden dropping frames in FCP. this is all new to a system that usually is quite nimble.

anyone had this, learned anything, found any culprits for slowness? I seriously just reinstalled the boot drive a month and a half ago. are there new viruses or spyware like the PC;s seem to be afflicted by these days?

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: grindingly slow DP G5 2.0
on Jan 4, 2006 at 5:26:44 pm

I'd maybe run Apple Hardware test on the MAC OSX DVD to verify RAM.

(Hold down option during boot, and choose to start from the hardware test partition of the dvd)

Are your disks full?

Gunleik

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
on Jan 4, 2006 at 7:40:47 pm

are my disks full?

my boot is 80gb with 11gb free
my secondary drive has 250 gb 142 free.

I will test the ram, will an upgrade to tiger DVD work, or should i use one of the factory 10.3 disks.

thanks

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:29:38 am

[linkoping skrills] "my boot is 80gb with 11gb free"

That might be your problem. Drives can slow down when they are more than 80% full. Also check your preferences to see if you have the drives going to sleep. You might be waiting for them to wake every time you go to do something. This can drop frames in FCP as well.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
on Jan 4, 2006 at 8:19:54 pm

i tried all my os x dvd that i have, will it be a grey dvd that says hardware test? that i think i only have from my Tibook days. the partitions came up, my boot drives, and the cd as a boot drive but no hardware test.....

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Jan 4, 2006 at 11:59:40 pm

HW test is usually found on the original system DVD. I have it with my G5 dual 2.

You have maybe done the following general routines:

Download Coctail (free) and run all the unix maintainance routines
http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18282&vid=89668
Rebuild permissions (disk utilities)
Run Disk Warrior (if you have it)

11 gb free isn't a lot, but shouldn't cause you any problems. I've noticed that when you fill up a disk beyond 90% it can cause trouble, especially if it is the boot drive.

Best of luck!

Gunleik

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
on Jan 5, 2006 at 8:30:41 am

what does this system dvd say on it? I have the grey 10.3.7 withat came with this dual 2.0 but im thinking that maybe there is another misplaced grey dvd... ,y work has a few G5's also, so maybe if i knew what was inscribed on it i could ask around... thanks for the tips though, you know how it is when things get slow and unresponsive.

Return to posts index

linkoping skrills
POSIX error: connection reset by peer
on Jan 5, 2006 at 8:34:59 am

i forgot to mention i keep getting the above error message in my downloads window of safari. when reading up on some other non system disk ram tests, i encountered the term POSIX there also. i'm wondering if thats any clue that i have jacked up ram.. luckily i got them at owc and they supposedly have a lifetime warranty...

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Jan 5, 2006 at 1:20:37 pm

[linkoping skrills] "I have the grey 10.3.7 withat came with this dual 2.0 but im thinking that maybe there is another misplaced grey dvd.."

That should be it.
Start with the DVD in the bay and hold down _alt/option_ (not "C")
(You have btw exactly the same machine as I)

You should then get an intermediate window with three alternatives, your startup disk, the MAC OSX install or Apple Hardware Test.

You can read about POSIX here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX

and your problem here:
http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-40983.html

I guess this particular thing is not a RAM issue.

What might be an issue though, is how you updated to Tiger (10.4) if you did.
There are a number of reports and problems for all us who didn't do a fresh install.
I was actually about to throw the big cat out, due to weird problems. Mostly networking and non-compatible software, but still.

Do you have any old kexts installed?

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Jan 5, 2006 at 1:31:37 pm

Here's a RAM-only testing app.

http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/rember/

Gunleik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved