FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire External HD case

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan
Firewire External HD case
by
on Dec 29, 2005 at 11:25:31 pm

The firewire ports on my External Lacie drive are not working anymore, and I called Lacie to find out what can be done, and they said I needed to get a new casing for the IDE drive that is inside.

Can anyone recommend an external firewire case brand, company or website that will work well with my Powermac G5. I will be using it mostly for video editing, and I need it fairly quick considering I am in the middle of a project that I can't touch right now, because of the broken firewire ports.

Thanks!

Dan

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Firewire External HD case
on Dec 30, 2005 at 8:06:31 am

You didn't say which LaCie Firewire drive you're using, but make sure you have the latest firmware for it. Here's link and what drives its for:

"LaCie Update Tool v1.3.3 is now Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) compatible and adds the latest firmware support for d2 and Design by F.A. Porsche drives with FireWire 400 and 800 and/or USB 2.0 interface."

http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/

I'd also, try different Firewire cables. Try it on a different Mac. Make sure other Firewire devices are working with your G5. Try the front port (or back if you're using the front). And search for other solutions. Firewire ports can go bad, but by far most of the cases I've run into were caused by something else and are usually fixable.

As far as buying another Firewire case

Return to posts index

Dtforgione
on Dec 30, 2005 at 1:17:40 pm

Thanks,

I know for sure it is only the drives case, because it had worked a couple of weeks ago on both my g5 and powerbook. but each time i used it, it got a little worse and needed to "play" with the firewire cable for it to connect. It got to the pont where it would only mount when i added pressure to the cable at a certain angle.

The drive belongs to my boss, who has had it for a long time, and it has been banged around way too much. Needless to say I have told her over and over again, she needs to be more careful with her equipment.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll look into it.

Dan

All the best!

Dan

Return to posts index

eyecamiam
on Dec 31, 2005 at 7:09:41 pm

Could be the firewire cable rather than the case? Also you might want to open up the case and see if the internal plug has gotten loose from the drive.

http://www.wiebetech.com/home.php

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Dtforgione
on Jan 1, 2006 at 1:32:41 pm

I was definitely not the cable, because I was able to use it with other externals. The firewire porst were loose in back, I could take my finger and wiggle them like the were a loose tooth. I actually just bought a Mag Dog Mega Vault aluminum enclosure, and it seems to work ok. When i took apart the LACIE the ports were barely on the circuit board.

Thanks for everyones suggestions. All the best and happy new year!!

Dan

All the best!

Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]