FORUMS: list search recent posts

G5 lost hard drives with Tech Tool De Frag Help!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Hitchcock
G5 lost hard drives with Tech Tool De Frag Help!
on Dec 24, 2005 at 5:11:11 am

My son ran techtools to de frag the drives.
There was a spinning beach ball after a couple of drives were defraged. Force shutdown. No Drives. Disk Warrior says Disks cant be repaird. tried First Aid.
What can I do?
I cant start from the instal Disc with comanf D
Thanks
Peter

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: G5 lost hard drives with Tech Tool De Frag Help!
on Dec 24, 2005 at 9:27:29 am

Ouch!

You need to hold C down during boot to start from the install DVD, or hold the option down to see available options.

I do _not_ mean to add insult to injury, but I hope you have a backup of your essential files. Generally defragmentation isn't among the things one worries about in OSX as the system does it itself if left on.

Subrosasoft has a dicrecovery tool (to get files off a bad disk) which is supposed to work ok.

You could try hardwaretest from the install disc.
What were the symptoms prior to the techtool treatment?

Happy holidays!

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Dec 24, 2005 at 3:18:12 pm

The only symptoms where my g5 froze sometimes and I had to force quite. I think it was due to being networked to my g4.
NO my files where going to be backed up on the holidays. Ouch!
My son said I should use Nortons to restore. I have been told never to use Nortons. Is that still true?
Thanks for your kind help Gunleik.
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
on Dec 24, 2005 at 3:28:05 pm

Tried C with disc 1 it wants to install only no Options. I can see my external drive but none of the G5 internal drives are showing up.
Should I do this?
Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

To reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) computer, either use the steps listed above for the Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or:
1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.
3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.
4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.
5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.
6. Turn on the computer.

Unlike earlier models of Power Mac G5 or Power Mac G4 computers, the Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) and (Late 2005) models do not have a PMU. This functionality has been replaced by the SMU.
Thanks Peter

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Dec 24, 2005 at 3:45:12 pm

The generall opinion seems to say: Stay away from Norton. But all that changes as soon as your media is lost... I'd only go there as a total last resort, after trying anything else, though. (That is just before I hit the "Format" button...)

If there's something to reset on the mainboard, try it. Ot sounds strange that the disks can't even be seen. That is none out of two?

Sounds more like some kind of real hardwarefailure.

If you manage to start from the startup DVD and check "Systeminfo" are they there?

Have you tried the option-click during boot from the DVD to run hardware-test?

Have you booted from the disk-warrior CD to run it?

Can you boot from an external firewire drive to do problemsolving?

How full were the disks? If they were more than 90% full and you trid to defrag stuff, you're maybe in som deep water. BUT I have experienced similar symptoms with too full disks. I did something stupid that forced the system to overwrite some necessary files. Luckyli I came back up with booting from an external drive, using disk-warrior, throwing away (ie: backing up) a lot of unneccesary trash and run a combo-update from apple.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

MitchJi
Re: Try diskwarrior
on Dec 26, 2005 at 11:06:41 pm

Hi,

I would try Diskwarrior.
http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

In the future:
1. do a backup BEFORE doing disk maintenance.
2. Get good backup software to make it convenient and do regular backups.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Peter Hitchcock
Re: Try diskwarrior
on Dec 29, 2005 at 7:54:45 pm

Thanks everybody.
I lost everything and did a clean install. Made a backup copy using Carbon Cloner.

Thanks and Happy New Year
Peter

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Jan 6, 2006 at 4:51:04 pm

> Generally defragmentation isn't among the things one worries about in OSX as the system does it itself if left on.<

this is a generally circulated myth. Unix automatically sorts through its directories and invisible files, left to its own devices. but OS10 will not degragment a drive's files. One of the reasons we like to say defragging isn't much of an issue is because drives are so huge these days.

Generally speaking, disk maintenance just isn't the issue it used to be in earlier revs of OS10 and System 9. Almost all performance issues are software-based. But that's an over-generalization, of course.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]