FORUMS: list search recent posts

to upgrade or not?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt
to upgrade or not?
by
on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:25:28 am

I have a G4 with one CPU that runs at 933MHz. I've 2MB in the L3 cache.

I've 1 GB or SDRAM and run OS X 3.0
and am considering an upgrade to 4.0...
...there is software I want to buy that requires it.

3.0 runs fine on my computer. No problems. Can I expect problems if I
upgrade?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
Matt

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: to upgrade or not?
on Dec 22, 2005 at 9:51:00 am

I had a painfull ride, but now it all starts to get into places.

looks like 4.3 fixed a lot of the underlaying bugs, but untill recently I was seriously considering to downgrade.

I guess the best way to upgrade is a clean install and then re-install all your software.

The next best is to do an archive-and install.

The worst is to do an upgrade.

Because I have so many SW authorized products I tried the last option first.
= Disaster

Then I tried the second.

Besides the obvious need for softwareupdates and hazzle with tweaking the beast back to its old shapes, I had tons of weird networking problems and other nonreliable symptoms for quite a while.

Tiger is generally considered a quite buggy upgrade on most discussionboards I'm on.
But it has some nifty features (Spotlight is NOT among them!) that might make it worthwhile.

Now I finally have almost all of my critical software up.
And I'm pretty happy.

I HATE spotlight for it's inflexible and processorhungry way of doing searches and background indexing. I'm sure it's cool on an office notebook, but when you have terrabytes of samples (at least a lot of gigabytes -;)) thousands of documents and FCP projects with hundreds or thousands of renderfiles that it tries to index for you for a quick access... It's a PITA.
I did disable spotlight for a while with a haxie and used a 3.rd part search function.
The search is ok. The system didn't seem too happy with the disabling.

So over all:
Tiger works just fine, has some nifty features, bad search, ok networking (though the mixed environment thing is not as good as in Panther), does not crash and takes up more resources than Panther.
You get core audio, core video og midi over IP.

Now take a deep breath and decide.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:43:58 pm

Gunleik's right, you should back everything up, erase your drive, and instal from scratch. Run all of the system updates online before you instal any software, then do it again after you've installed the software.

It takes time but you should be fine once it's over.

Gunleik: Have you tried going into Spotlight's Prefrences in the system prefrences and putting most of your drives on the "ignore" list? It lets you exclude things from Spotlight's search while leaving others.

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:17:38 pm

Sure.

No go...

The drives willnot stick, nor the folders.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Matt
by
on Dec 23, 2005 at 12:56:20 am

Thanks for the input.
How can I run the systems update wo/first installing software? I will need Safari, or something to get online...I'm assuming you mean any additional, non-bundled software...

Matt

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Dec 23, 2005 at 4:12:31 am

Yes, I mean to do the upgrades right afte the OS is installed, and then again once everything is put in place.

So yes, Safari will be there by that point, but no, you don't need it. Go to the Apple Menu and select "Software Update." Much easier and the downloads are smaller 'cause it just gives you what you need. Usually when you go to Apple.com and pick an update you get a larger file that contains things you might not need, since it doesn't know what your hardware is. With the System Update it does know and it just gives you what you need.

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on Dec 23, 2005 at 7:56:30 am

[Jeff Carpenter] "Much easier and the downloads are smaller 'cause it just gives you what you need. Usually when you go to Apple.com and pick an update you get a larger file that contains things you might not need, since it doesn't know what your hardware is. With the System Update it does know and it just gives you what you need."

Hi Jeff,

According to Macfixit the "combo" updates (larger) are more reliable.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Dec 23, 2005 at 10:02:52 am

The problem I have with Combo updates is that people don't always download everything.

So they may upgrade Final Cut Pro to version 5.0.4 but they didn't download the OS update to 10.4.3 yet for some reason. Lots of unexplainable bugs that people have can be traced back to not having everything updated at the same rate. And that often comes from people downloading the updates themselves and not being aware of everything that's available.

Now, of course, it IS possible to download everything in combo form and keep up with it and be perfectly fine. But as for myself I've never felt entirely sure that I've actually run everything I'm supposed to when I work that way. So I prefer the automatic system for mainly that reason. The combos may be better once you get them, but I just think there's a much greater chance of missing something important that way.

Just my opinion, there's nothing really wrong with either way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]