FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Must Have" OSX applications for print layout and graphic design work?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Munkittrick
"Must Have" OSX applications for print layout and graphic design work?
on Dec 20, 2005 at 7:46:17 pm

I've read back over the last year of posts and found a lot of interesting choices for various motion graphics and general purpose office software, but I

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
That's rather sad. Nothing on the Mac or just no ideas?
on Dec 23, 2005 at 6:50:00 pm

Listen fella's, I realize that the holidays have got us all wrapped up in work, play and food...but is there anyone with some useful input on this front or is the issue devoid of a solution? I'm needing to make a move before January 1st and the road is narrowing.

Thanks,

Michael Munkittrick
Managing Creative Director
Evolve Media Solutions

Forum COWmunity leader for:
Sony DV
Magic Bullet

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: That's rather sad. Nothing on the Mac or just no ideas?
on Dec 26, 2005 at 7:27:58 pm

You pretty much mantion your options, I guess that keeps the load silence comming.

I do prefer Quark to Indesign by and large, but I guess that is because I got my first quark gig 12 years ago... And it was just so much more flexible, powerfull and precise than Page Maker on that LC III...

I still find Quark a total winner over InDesign, and it's going to be interesting to see what they come up to after the "internal revolution". The interface hasn't changed much the last 12 years, so it looks are a bit dated. It's powers are not.

When googling on "quark killer" I get loads of reviews, with more or less the same conclution, and not one other app mentioned...

But I guess this isn't really what you were after?

Happy Holidays!

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 29, 2005 at 3:57:29 am

Hi Michael,

I rarely do print work anymore. In the 90's Quark was king and we all used it a lot. But with their slow updates, copy protection issues, relatively high pricing, and just lack of customer support they were hated by most long time users. Quark is still a very good application, but if I were to get back into regular print work, I'd go with the all Adobe solution and use InDesign. Having said that, the print work I occasionally still do is done in either After Effects (yes, I said After Effects), Illustrator, or Photoshop without ever touching another application (they are all fine for most single page and logo print work). If I was doing books or long documents, FrameMaker is the best, but unfortunately Adobe dropped Mac support for it a couple years after buying the application.

I probably wouldn't consider any applications for professional work other than the ones I mentioned above (you can always find another app, but it takes many years for them to mature into a reliable, relatively bug free, pro quality solution). Stick with the biggies.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Jan 5, 2006 at 7:58:36 am

InDesign is where I was leaning from the get go, and considering that it camee with two of the creative suites that we bought last year...duh! I don't have the option to buy further licenses at present due to numerous HEAVY investments, but the truth is that I need to find a reliable resource to get the job done, on time, on budget and with as little mental overhead as possible. The Adobe interface is mindbogglingly deep, but the familiarity might be what I need to get organized.

And as a pat on the back, another COW told me the After Effects solution might be just the ticket for me. I never thought of it, but it supports near infinite resolution, provides functional layers and has a HUGE assortment of tools in the form of plug-ins and scripting resources to make it a viable option too. I use a pair of L-Systems Trio monitors and they offer just nough real estate to make the AE print option a reality. Are there any examples of print done with AS online for reference? Do you have anything comparative that I could view before investing the month of "how to" in AE as a option?

Tony, thanks man!

Michael Munkittrick
Evolve Media Solutions

Sony DV
Magic Bullet

Return to posts index

Michael Munkittrick
on Jan 5, 2006 at 7:51:27 am

Yeah, but I didn't want to overshoot my abilities. If you knew me, you'd worry about the tools that will be subject to my "wrath". I've got a pretty good reputation with software people, but I am very hard on hardware and just wanted to be sure of anything outside of the realm of "mega computer software heaven" stores.

And while I was actually looking for alternatives, your appraisal is well received as most of my research kind of says the same thing. But Quark DOES look and feel so old on the front end. I have heard a lot about overhauls and shake-ups from them, but the price, lack of tangible experience with it in a real-world production environment and the fact that it's been sliding on the computer-to-plate printing front leads me to ask of the alternative options. Thanks for the input.

Michael Munkittrick
Evolve Media Solutions

Sony DV
Magic Bullet

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]