FORUMS: list search recent posts

.mac problem

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Meckel
.mac problem
on Dec 20, 2005 at 12:35:50 am

Does anybody use .mac out there?
I'm trying to set up a homepage with a free trial so I can post my demo reel and get some feedback on the forum here. Problem is when I try to add a file (movie, pictures, whatever) no files show up from my idisc folders which I've just added files to. I can open these folders in the finder and they're there, but not when I try to open them in .mac.
Also when I try to export a file from Final Cut Pro directly to my idisc folders FCP stalls out and then crashes.
The only thing I can think of is that when I installed OSX 10.2 and set up my itools account (I know itools no longer exists) I named the idisc something other than the name I used for .mac. Maybe there's some sort of compatibility/recognition issue? I've tried renaming the idisc but it won't let me and I'm not going to reinstall OSX just for this.
Anybody?
thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: .mac problem
on Dec 20, 2005 at 4:36:35 am

yoiur iDisk will be named the same as your .mac user name. You should not be able to rename the remote iDisk. Anything you set in the old iTools should not be applicable to your dot mac account.
Use the ".mac" pane in System Preferences and/or the iDisk Utility app in Applications>Utilities to verify the iDisk name and set/manage available iDisk space. In Tiger you can also set up an iDisk image on your desktop which you can set to stay synced to the remote iDisk.
To manage how much of your iDisk space is allocated to email and to files, login to your account at http://www.apple.com/dotmac, click the "Account" button, and then "Storage Settings." where you can set ratio of mail to files storage.
I've found that doing a "save as" from any app to iDisk has been unreliable. i always save to local directory then drag/copy to an iDisk folder.

Return to posts index

Adam Meckel
on Dec 20, 2005 at 6:21:59 pm

Hi Chuck,
I don't know, maybe you're using 10.3 or 10.4 or else something's missing from my OS package but there's no .Mac pane in my System Preferences and no iDisc Utility in my Utilities folder. The iDisc does appear on my desktop after I launch it from the Finder (Go>iDisc) but it has the name that I used when I set up my iTools account (required when installing OSX 10.2) which is different from my .Mac account name.
Something else I noticed while searching the Utilities folder is that in the Keychain Access pane both my iTools and .Mac accounts are listed and they both have different names under the "Names" heading but the same original iTools name (same as my iDisc) under the "Account" headings. If, as you said, "Anything you set in the old iTools should not be applicable to your dot mac account", then something ain't right.
I hope I've explained this well enough-it sure doesn't make any sense to me.
Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Adam Meckel
on Dec 20, 2005 at 6:29:49 pm

By the way..
I just checked out your profile-impressive.
I tried the link to your website on .Mac and got a window saying that your Homepage couldn't be found. Just thought I'd let you know.
Nice shot with Ozzy!
rock on.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Dec 21, 2005 at 3:28:40 am

Thanks for the heads up on the bad llnk. All fixed, though the site's not all that great. At least I'm not doing a blog :-)

You will probably fnd more useful info on the .mac page, checking the FAQ and tutorials, and the user forums there.

The dot mac pref pane mentioned in my earlier reply is only on 10.3.x and up, so for 10.2, dot mac prefs are in System Preferences>click Internet>click iDisk. If you want to try using the iDisk utility app, it's available on the apple site, downloads area.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]