FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS 9 partition

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Sanders
OS 9 partition
on Dec 14, 2005 at 9:08:04 pm

I just acquired a G4 dual processor MAC with OS X as the main partition (or operating system) and there is another mounted drive / partition that is for OS 9(which is taking up drive space).
Is there a simple way to reallocate the OS 9 space all to the OS X operating system so I only have one mounted drive utilizing all of the memory the system has? I am not using any OS 9 software and really do not care about what is stored on this OS 9 mounted drive.

I am an old MAC user turned PC and I am now returning back to the MAC world (it has probably been at least 8 years).

Please advise.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: OS 9 partition
on Dec 14, 2005 at 10:12:35 pm

If you're not interested in having OS9 on your startup disk then the fastest and easiest would be to reformat the disk in Mac OS Extended (journaling on) and then do a fresh OS X install from the system disks. Partitioning will accomplish nothing for you other than to eat up more valuable storage space on your drive due to the extra formatting required.

Remember that reformatting will erase everything on your drive. Transfer what you want to keep to another drive such as a firewire drive and then do the reformatting with Apple's Disk Utility which you'll find on your system disks.

If I had just bought a used Mac, now's the time I would do this before I put a bunch of programming and other files on it.

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 14, 2005 at 10:23:09 pm

Welcome back to the light side :)

You need to copy off everything to another drive, then reformat your startup drive, and then copy everything back. You can use a great little application called Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the files/system off (you can't drag and drop the system with OS X. It won't copy the thousands of invisible files, and so it won't work).

Having a backup drive with a regularly updated backup of all your important files should be considered mandatory. You can pickup up a 250GB firewire drive for very cheap now. Or what I do on all my Mac's is to buy an identical drive (to my startup drive) as a secondary drive inside the Mac. I keep a cloned copy of my startup drive on it. I always update that clone before doing any updates to my OS or critical software on my startup drive. That way I can always quickly go back or startup off the other drive to keep working.

Here's the link to CCC:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13260

Tony!

Return to posts index

Jim Sanders
on Dec 15, 2005 at 1:50:34 pm

Thank you Tony, sounds like some very valuable information.
I am glad to return from the dark side at home but, at work I am still forced to stay on the dark side.

Oh well, I will try your suggestions when I return home this evening.

Happy Holidays and Cheers to the upcoming new year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]