FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disc Region Code Switch?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kathlyn Lindeboom
Disc Region Code Switch?
on Dec 13, 2005 at 8:10:12 pm

Hi All,

(By the way, it was really nice seeing you again Tony! at DV Expo, and finally getting to meet you Harry. That's what I like about going to trade shows -- meeting the cow members and leaders.)

Anyway, one of our members sent me a disc from Germany, which is region 2. I put it in my dvd player and get the following dialog:
The disc region code does not match the drive region code. The drive region code must be changed to play this disc.

Then it gives me a choice of changing to the New Drive Setting

Current Drive Setting: Region Code 1
You can only change the drive region code 4 more times.
So, my question is, what happens when I run out of times changing? Am I then locked into whatever code was the last one used? And why on earth would they make this restriction?!!!????

This is a 3 volume set and I doubt I could watch it all in one sitting, but I hesitate to watch at all, if I run the risk of never being able to watch region code 1 stuff again.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Disc Region Code Switch?
on Dec 14, 2005 at 2:45:34 am

VLC Player http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738 it bypasses the region codes. I wouldn't change your code to watch a DVD, use VLC instead of Quicktime player and it should work.

The other option is to use something like MacTheRipper to rip the DVD region free to your hard drive: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

The last option is to find on the web a region free firmware flasher for your SuperDrive (it's a different one for most models and brands).

Tony!

P.S. Yes, it is always nice to see you and Ron at the shows. I look forward that at each one. I'm sorry I didn't make it back for dinner, but I was running late and the traffic in LA is really bad, so I gave and went home.

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Dec 14, 2005 at 6:46:41 pm

[Tony!] "VLC Player http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738 it bypasses the region codes. I wouldn't change your code to watch a DVD, use VLC instead of Quicktime player and it should work.
"

Thanks Tony! I downloaded the VLC Player-- and it's working great. You're right, I really didn't want to change my region code -- not that I watch a lot of dvds on my computer, but you never know.

Kathlyn Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 14, 2005 at 10:11:06 pm

Hey Kathlyn,

While I have your attention. Is there a way to make all responses to my posts automatically get emailed to me again (like they used to)? I always forget to check that little box, because I never needed to do it before?

Tony!

Return to posts index

Kathlyn Lindeboom
on Dec 14, 2005 at 10:49:22 pm

I'll ask Eric if he can. It might be something in the cookies.

Kathlyn Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Eric Bliss
on Dec 14, 2005 at 11:22:24 pm

Hi Tony!

It's a cookie thing for each individual forum, so you need to set it in your browser. Make some silly response to this post (and yes, it MUST be SILLY!!! ), and click on the "Entire Thread" button before you submit it. After that, the Cow will remember this as your preference for posts you make in this forum, and that option will be the default one selected the next time you start writing a new post, or making a reply to another post.

You can also set your default preference by using the link from the posting form (where it says "you may reset your account cookies by clicking _here_"). This preference will only be used in forums where you haven't posted before. All the other forums already are remembering what your last request was in them.

There are a few things to remember about it -
1. It's browser dependent, so whenever you're on a different computer or browser, you need to check to make sure that the setting is the way you want it.
2. It's also forum dependent - it sets the current value to whatever you asked for on the last post you made in the forum, or your global default if you haven't posted in the forum before. So, you may need to set it for each of the forums that you use, depending on what they are already doing.
3. It only remembers your most recent post - so if you ask to not get a notification on a post, that's the value that it will hold on to until you change it again.
4. I forgot what four was. Shame on me.

Anyway. Click the button next to "Entire Thread", and then write something silly. It should work properly (in this forum) after that.

Eric Bliss

systems design and integration
CreativeCow.Net

int main(void) {
printf("Hello World!n");
}

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 15, 2005 at 8:22:20 pm

OK Eric, I giving it a shot. I wonder how it changed for me? It always sent me notices of responses to my posts in the past from all the forums. Maybe my cookies got reset?

Thanks for all the detailed info.

Tony!

P.S. I'm using Safari by the way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]