FORUMS: list search recent posts

setting up rights

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason y
setting up rights
on Dec 12, 2005 at 7:35:01 pm

scenario: Multiple edit bays using final cut pro. Each bay has multiple hard drives (of course).

1.) I want to create a user for each of the 4 typical user types at the facility.

2.) I want to grant each user access to each drive of any given bay with their password, but I want to deny them access to all other folders except their own.

3.) (redundant point) I want to make sure that Final Cut will only save to the specified folder and cannot be changed in the "scratch disk" setting.

I have attempted to set the rights & privelages in the "get info" section of each folder using the Admin and a Root user account. It either allows me to change the settings and then have no effect when I change user, or it doesn't allow me to change the settings. Please anyone...I am fairly new to OSX. I have been an editor for a few years, but have never had to learn much about the program.

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: setting up rights
on Dec 13, 2005 at 12:59:42 am

Let me see if I understand, you have mutiple Macs that each have their own set of drives, which you want to set 4 different user types. User 1 might get access to drive 1, user 2 to drive 2, etc.

Do you want a user to be able to use ANY available Mac/Edit bay? With the same restrictions from one Mac/Edit bay to another? I am assuming you are only doing local authentication...

Are the "user types" you are setting up something more like 1=admin, 2=class A user, 3=class B user, 4=class C user?

Return to posts index

jason y
on Dec 13, 2005 at 1:39:30 am

Yes to everything, except that I would like to give everyone access to all the drives, but I want a folder in each drive for each user. That user and the admin should be the only ones with access to their folder. I do see what you are getting at; the multiple bay line was just to give you an idea of how our facility is set up. You can assume that this is one bay.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:40:59 pm

hello...

well - root can see all, but if you mean admin in the sense of the os x admin account then you might need to get fancy with your groups underneath in unix.

if i were going to do this on a straight unix system, i'd do the following:

1. create each user needed and make their home dir the desired folder
  2. create a group for each user and add that user to the respective group along with your admin user
  3. set the ownership for each respective user's folder to 774 (unix group syntax - basically owner and group get full rights and everybody else can only read)

you can do all of this with the netinfo manager in applications -> utilities, but it does take some unix knowledge... :-/

outside of that, you could set each folder to be full-access only for the given user, but by default the os x admin won't be able to see them then...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Dec 13, 2005 at 6:41:15 pm

I don't have access to my Macs from work, but one thing I think still holds is that you need to enable a checkbox to respect user rights on the external drives. Otherwise, anyone can do anything. I think this is when you do "Get Info" on the drive, but it may be something you have to do in Disk Utility, I can't remember off the top of my head.

One thing to be aware of, if these computers are on a network and the drives are accessible you will run into problems setting up users locally on each machine. But if your goal is to prevent basic user error, not security, you should be fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]