FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about user privelages

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jonathan
Question about user privelages
on Dec 2, 2005 at 11:32:49 pm

created new user acct because admin was acting buggy on some apps, now having troubles with read/write privliges, and if anyone knows,
1) how can i allow full privelages for this secondary user

2) transfer bookmarks/fonts/itunes over to this user

at least DVD studio pro works again. something got messed with my admin user account. i tried trashing all the pref's i could relating to DVDSP, and even reinstalled, but something is jacked up there. if you

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Question about user privelages
on Dec 2, 2005 at 11:42:53 pm

hello...

well - the techie way to do it is:

1. enable root via netinfo
2. become root in a shell
3. cp (copy) the user files from acct. a to acct. b
4. chown (change ownership) of the files from a to b
5. disable root via netinfo (for safety/security)

i don't know if you're command-line/unix friendly, but the above would be pretty straightfoward...however if you're not comfortable with that way, then i think you could probably do something like:

1. log in as acct a. and note the privs for your home dir stuff
2. via the finder, copy all your desired files to a neutral area on your disk
3. recursively change the privs on those files to everybody
4. log out of acct a and into acct. b
5. copy all the files from the transfer area to the acct b. home dir
6. change the privs back to what they were for acct. a except owned by acct b. now

sitruc

Return to posts index

jonathan
on Dec 3, 2005 at 12:07:26 am

are permissions exclusive, or is there a way to chill them to where i can pretty much do whatever i wanted with user 2? i'll try the workaround you talked about, ever since DOS phased out when i was a kid, i'm not really command line savvy.

thanks for the quick help!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Dec 3, 2005 at 12:17:59 am

hello...

if you wanted to, you could change permissions on your home dir to a free-for-all, but i wouldn't recommend it...even on a single box, should somebody someday release a virus for macs, that would be a bad thing potentially...

what i'm suggesting isn't really a workaround as that would imply that the underlying system is broken somehow...not really the case here. this is just how a typical unix/os x permission system works, and this shows one of the primary reasons that unix and therefore os x is so secure...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Dec 3, 2005 at 1:58:22 am

You're gonna have issues because many apps don't behave properly and are more set up to live on a one account box. So you probably will have to reinstall all apps through the new account to resolve most everything...

The other option is to back up and wipe and start over. You might get it to work this way, but it can be very tricky.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]