URGENT PROBLEM RECOVER DATA

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Kroesbacher
URGENT PROBLEM RECOVER DATA
on Dec 1, 2005 at 10:28:11 pm

Hi,

i have a VERY urgent problem:
we just deleted our jobs folder from the internal HD.
what's the best way to recover the data??
we have a second g5 where we could put the drive in...

which software is best??? (mainly indesign files gone...)

HELP!!!!
Thanx

stefan

Return to posts index

daniel_l
Re: URGENT PROBLEM RECOVER DATA
on Dec 2, 2005 at 10:52:50 am

It's very unlikely that you'll get anything back, such is the secure nature of UNIX, but you can try this:

http://www.binarybiz.com/vlab/

or Norton utilities

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Dec 2, 2005 at 4:33:07 pm

First:

Stop doing anything with that drive/raid/volume/partition!!!!

try:

http://www.subrosasoft.com/MacSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPa...

This is Very Good!

Norton utilities are usually a no-no...

Another:
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php?PHPSESSID=6da6eee0f08433...

I didn't have much luck with this one.

Gunleik

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 2, 2005 at 11:29:53 pm

Very slim chance you'll get anything back. If its absolutely critical info, contact Drive Savers http://www.drivesavers.com/. They'll charge you a small fortune, but its your best hope. Most of us learned a long time ago, to backup often. If nothing else, it'll motivate the powers that be to spend the $$'s for a good back system.

Tony!

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Dec 4, 2005 at 12:14:10 am

Drivesavers is a bloody ripoff. They are excellent with initial customer service, but when it comes to giving you an estimate, their business practice is WAY off IMO. This is what happened:

I put an indentical looking but incorrect power supply into my 500gb Lacie FW drive and a puff of smoke literally came out of the front. I called them up, sent them the drive, and they called me back with an "estimate" of "...between $800 - $5000." Not what I'd call much of an estimate.

Then this is what blew the deal for me: they didn't actually diagnose what the problem was and they refused to even bench it unless I consented to the FULL amount of the estimate. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, they flatly said that their business practice is much like a lawyer taking a case on contingency as if they sometimes do the work and end up not being able to recover anything and therefore cannot charge much. PHOOEY! then why do they boast a "95% success rate" or whatver?

I said, in return, that if I had a broken transmission, the least I would expect from my repair guy would be look at it and tell me whether it was worth fixing or whether I should just get a new one. But this gentleman disagreed with that concept. I expressed that I thought that their policy only benefited them, and not the customer, and all he could say was that's just not the way they do it. So I said return my drive and sure enough I found another place right around the corner from me in NYC who gave me a diagnosis, an real estimate with billable hours and parts, and it was about $1500 less than Drivesavers. Sure, it still cost a lot, but at least I had some choices in the matter.

IMO, I think 90% of data recovery is VERY easy to do, and that these places charge a mint because they can, since most people, like said all-caps poster, are desperate. Ever notice how a spare tire gets awfully expensive from a tow truck guy when you're in the middle of nowhere?

My advice: as the others have said above STOP using the computer and/or the drive that had the erased data. Your data can be fully recovered provided the data sectors where the original data was recorded is not overwritten by new data. The way it works is that "trashing" a file merely flags the data sectors as eligible for being recorded over. It doesn't actually erase it until then. Secondly, Google "data recovery" in your area and see what is available. There are many places now. Third: don't panic yet. Unless you've already done more usage of your drive. Then you should panic. And it won't be cheap.

steve covello
double wide post

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 4, 2005 at 12:21:04 am

I'm not a fan of Diver Savers either because of some of the reasons mentioned by Steve. But if the info is critical, and cost is worth it to you, then they are probably the best at recovery.

OS X does write over your files as they are erased. It is the reason why i don't think you'll have much, if any, luck recovering your files. Its not impossible, but very unlikely. Much harder than the previous Mac OS's.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Dec 4, 2005 at 1:33:14 am

[Tony!] "Diver Savers"

I have no idea how the "r" slide 4 places to the right - lol. Please read "Drive Savers," not "Diver Savers."

Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]