FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS X Meltdown - HELP PLEASE!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren
OS X Meltdown - HELP PLEASE!
on Nov 30, 2005 at 6:55:04 pm

Hi-

I am having an entire meltdown with my older/backup FCP editing computer. The computer has been stuck in OS 9.2.2 for years and I finally was forced to upgrade to get DSL - however, I only upgraded a partition of the main harddrive as I wanted to keep 9.2.2 intact until I got all my software needs upgraded to 10.

The computer is a 450mhz G4 which I originally bought from ProMax - so it came with two internal SCSI drives. ProMax has told me that I need a new PCI card for OS X - which I did not upgrade yet - so the drives just don't boot in the OS X partition.

My initial install was 10.3 - which worked wonderfully for about three weeks and then one day it ceased to boot. The screen would come on gray and then cut out to a black screen (I could still hear the drives working but no image ever appears). I have tried everything that is recommended by both Apple and Tekserve - I upgraded my firmware, zapped P-ram, unplugged the SCSI drives and their PCI card, removed additional memory - but nothing has helped.

I now have an install disc for Tiger - and the computer won't even boot up from the install disc - it does exactly the same thing as 10.3 - gray screen to nothing. I even tried completely erasing they system folder for 10.3 - as I was afraid it might have somehow gotten corrupted - but it has not helped either. The computer still boots up and funcitons normally in 9.2 - so I am pretty sure the problem is OS X specific.

Sorry for the long post but I am about to lose it - if anyone could possible offer a suggestion I would be extremely greatful. Perhaps there is some greater compatability issue I have not identified yet...

Lauren

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: OS X Meltdown - HELP PLEASE!
on Nov 30, 2005 at 11:48:55 pm

No real help. but on what you say, I'd first of all disconnect the SCSI card(s), secondly (if that doesn't do the trick) check the RAM by taking out all but one. Re-boot - swap - add.

Is it possible that this happend in connection with an update of your software?

Does it exist some firmware upgrade for your computer that you didn't apply?

Gunleik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]