FORUMS: list search recent posts

Too Late To Ask About Discreet Edit and Apple

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WreckGar
Too Late To Ask About Discreet Edit and Apple
on Nov 26, 2005 at 5:20:37 pm

I know the EDIT deal was dropped from Discreet a while back (I was an Edit-Editor). And I also heard that Apple bought Discreet DVD Maestro to make Studio Pro. Have there been any rumblings about Apple buying Edit?

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
Re: Too Late To Ask About Discreet Edit and Apple
on Nov 26, 2005 at 7:21:16 pm

What Apple got from Discreet was the ex-combustion coders who are now working on Motion. Edit* was way ahead of its time. I wish Aplle would use even some of the features from Edit* in FCP!

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
Re: Too Late To Ask About Discreet Edit and Apple
on Nov 27, 2005 at 10:51:46 pm

[Christopher Wright] "What Apple got from Discreet was the ex-combustion coders who are now working on Motion"
Yep, and they didn't even have to pay for that...BTW, there's also one former discreet edit engineer working on Shake.

[Christopher Wright] "Edit* was way ahead of its time. I wish Aplle would use even some of the features from Edit* in FCP!"
Well, the biggest missing featire is playable picons in a bin. However with scrubbale picons in FCP, I would imagine this might see the light of day at some point (just a guess). Other than that, the keyboard functionality in FCP far exceeds that of edit (although edit had a simpler more logical approach), as do many other other FCP functions. There were some other nice workflow enhancements (especially Capture and Logging) in edit, but it was definitely starting to show it's age.

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
My three favorite edit* features
on Nov 29, 2005 at 4:44:58 am

Warning - this is an anti-edit* rant!

Feature 1 : A minimum six second pre-roll on the digisuite LE
Feature 2 : Exceeding real-time RT features forced us to do a mix-down
Feature 3 : Adding dissolves to graphics on layer 2 or 3 did not work

Don't even get me started on the poor reliability. Compositing on edit* was a nightmare.

We could not even sell our edit*. We started using the hard drives, fans and cables in other edit suites, and eventually gave the IBM intellistation to a schoolboy as a science project example of and older PC...

I'm sooo happy with FCP - I can live without playing picons and running info display while capturing.

Regards
Francois

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
Re: My three favorite edit* features
on Nov 29, 2005 at 6:07:48 am

[Francois Stark] "Don't even get me started on the poor reliability. Compositing on edit* was a nightmare."

I'm not making excuses, but things were considerably better on the Targa card, thus I can't disagree with you about the Digisuite LE. For whatever reasons, the LE really was a drag to work on, and helped bring about the death of edit*. Not that any of this makes a difference at this point, but because of this (and some nightmare support issues), I personally wouldn't touch anything made by Matrox.

And yes, FCP is way ahead (except for those still living in the past). Still, playable picons and more detailed info in the timeline would be nice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]