FORUMS: list search recent posts

Powermac G5 RAM question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david  garcia
Powermac G5 RAM question
on Nov 22, 2005 at 12:08:25 am

Hi,

I have a question about G5 RAM. I have 2 G5s. Both are Dual 2 ghz processors. One was purchased in January 2005 from apple, the other we bought used and I believe it is the generation prior.

The used guy came with 8gigs of RAM which seem to work fine in that machine. Since we have applecare on the newer machine we thought we would swap out the RAM and resell the older.

However when I move the 8 1gig sticks over only half of them are recognized in the newer machine. The non-working sticks look to be of a different design. Everything is in matched pairs so that can be ruled out.

Is this RAM just not swappable? Is there a spec difference between the two machines that I am not seeing? They both say PCIX on the casings and look pretty much identical.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks so much.

David Garcia,
Albuquerque, NM

Return to posts index

bogiesan
Re: Powermac G5 RAM question
on Nov 23, 2005 at 2:12:21 am

Run About This Mac and the push More Info button. You will get readouts on the RAM. I think you will see subtle but crucial differences. There are also some free tools you can download that will extract every iota of information that is burned into the RAM sticks.

I can't recall where, but somewhere on the Net is a complete and exhaustive listing of every type of RAM used in every MAcintosh. Might even be on apple.com.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]