FORUMS: list search recent posts

FORMATTING HELP PLEASE!!!!!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin gray
FORMATTING HELP PLEASE!!!!!
on Nov 20, 2005 at 6:25:03 am

Ok, so a few days ago I posted a blurb about formatting my external drive on a PC for DV video editing on my Mac. I decided that FAT32 was the way to go because none of my files will exceed the 4gig limit. Well, I took my external drive, formatted it using a " Fat 32 Quick Format" and it said it couldn't do the format.... "Windows was unable to format drive," or some crap like that was the message I got. So, I try formatting it using Fat32 "Full Format." After waiting about 2 hours for the 160 gig firewire/USB 2.0 drive to be fully formatted, at the very last friggin' minute, alas, the same damned error message.
Well, I gotta get this project done so I go ahead and decide that since neither Fat32 formatting method can even take place, I will go with NTFS formatting. God what a nightmare. Now I have all this footage captured on the external drive, but have absolutely no administrator rights over the disk when it is plugged into my Mac. I can import the clips just fine into FCP, view them in Quicktime just fine, but if I try to delete, set my render caches, or drag any kind of data onto the external drive from my mac, the damned thing says I do not have permission. However, I can modify the disk if I am on the PC, (which stands for "Piece'O crap" in my book,) Why can't I control the drive on my Mac with administrator rights?

Someone please let me know if there is some software out there that can successfully format a drive to run on both the Mac and the "Other, Other white meat" -Thanks guys and gals. -J

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: FORMATTING HELP PLEASE!!!!!
on Nov 20, 2005 at 7:48:19 am

I just always format the drives on my Mac. It is an option just like HFS+.

Return to posts index

Justin gray
on Nov 20, 2005 at 7:53:53 am

OK. And formatting on your Mac lets you recognize the drive on a PC? I have formatted my drive using the disk utility and it will not be recognized by a PC. Is there a step or option that I am missing in the OSX Disk Utility? If I am to format my drive using the Disk Utility in OSX then no motter what format, i.e. OSX, or OSX Journaled, the the PC, of course, does not recognize it. If you have a solution, then please treat me like a 3 year old, and spell it out for me. Thank again. -J

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Nov 20, 2005 at 5:59:57 pm

You must chose "DOS" as format. (In disk utilities)
Then it will be formatted as a FAT 32 drive.
Much quicker than the windows procedure... -;)

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Justin gray
on Nov 20, 2005 at 10:29:20 pm

thanks a bunch. this works just fine.

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
on Nov 21, 2005 at 3:50:15 am

OS X can read but not write to an NTFS volume. Well documented and often asked.
Have you considered formatting the drive Mac OS Extended (HFS+) and using http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/>MacDrive on the PC?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]