FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Firewire Formatting Question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Gray
External Firewire Formatting Question
on Nov 16, 2005 at 8:15:17 pm

I am doing a lot of video editing between two different edit suites, one PC and one Mac.
To transfer captured files between locations I have purchased a Western Digital 160gig 7200 RPM Firewire/USB 2.0 drive. The original footage is captured on the PC using Premiere 6.5 but I will be editing the clips on FCP 4.5.
In order to use the external drive I have to format it when I plug it into the PC. I understand the differences between NTFS and FAT32 but I am wondering which formating option will run better on my Mac. I have another small 1gig drive that I previously formatted on the same PC using FAT32 and this seems to run just fine on my Mac. But these are small files not pertaining to mulitmedia. Any suggestios on which route to go? NTFS or FAT32 to run on OSX Panther. Of course I can format it using the disk utility in OSX but if I choose the MacOS or MacOS extended option of formatting the PC will not read it...go figure. I hope to not have to buy pricey software to get this already expensive drive compatible with both platforms, but if need be..... Thanks fellow bovines. -Justin Gray

MAC PLATFORM BEING USED:
Dual 2gig G5
OSX Panther
2gig RAM
ATI Radeon 9600

PC PLATFORM BEING USED:
Dual 2.8gig IBM
Windows 2000 Professional
3gig RAM
NVIDIA Quadro4 280 NVS

Return to posts index

Smooth
Re: External Firewire Formatting Question
on Nov 16, 2005 at 11:11:12 pm

You'll have to use Fat32 which has it limitations. I forget off hand what is the max file size you can have. So you won't be able to have extremely large clips because it won't work. (Slightly under 4GB is what comes to mind) So as long as you aren't capturing 30 straight minutes of footage you'll be fine to use it in both worlds. I assume you are doing DV capturing cause SD would eat that HD space up in no time & would reach that 4 Gb limit in about 2 minutes of capturing.

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
Re: External Firewire Formatting Question
on Nov 16, 2005 at 11:37:31 pm

Yes, precisely. I am working solely in the DV-NTSC codec and most all of my clips will be shorter the 20-30 seconds. Thanks for your input smooth. Have a great day. -J

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
....One More Thing
on Nov 17, 2005 at 12:21:32 am

If I format the drive using FAT32 do I need to do a "Quick Format" or a "Complete Format". And does it even matter?

Return to posts index

Smooth
Re: ....One More Thing
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:48:14 pm

I have never had the time to do anything other than the QUICK & haven't had any problems, cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]