FORUMS: list search recent posts

can't move to trash

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peppsirous
can't move to trash
on Nov 9, 2005 at 5:50:33 pm

hi
i started the downloading of an archive from the apple web page, but while I was downloading it, internet unexpectedly quited, and so the downloading failed. The archive remains, uncompleted, in my desktop and I amb not able to eliminate it. "The message says: the item "x" is being used (maybe is being copied or moved to trash) Try it again when the other work has finished." (it's in spanish, sorry about the translation ..)
so i can't move the document.
does anybody know wha do i have to do?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: can't move to trash
on Nov 9, 2005 at 6:05:19 pm

Have you reset your computer and then tried to erase it? That tends to clear this sort of problem up.

If it still won't erase after that, try chaning the name to "x.jpg" and then drag it to the trash. Doing that sometimes disrupts the hold another program has on it.

But try re-setting first.

Return to posts index

peppsirous
on Nov 9, 2005 at 7:55:11 pm

yes i have reseted it, in fact they are there from 3 days ago!
and now i've just tried to change the name and extension to .jpg for example, and the message is still the same.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:20:18 pm

Ok, next I'd go to APPLICATIONS/UTILITIES/DISC UTILITY and repair the permissions on the system drive.

If THAT doesn't let you erase it then click on the item and hit APPLE-I. Look for the ownership permissions in there and see if you can set it to anything that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

peppsirous
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:54:23 pm

bad luck, both procedures failed. I verified and repaired the disk and changed the permissions. In the permission menu I saw that the archive access is only readable and can't be changed. Is it normal?
thanks eventhough the archives love me so much they don't leave me..

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Nov 10, 2005 at 2:18:21 am

Try restarting from your operating system installation disk and then deleting the files you want from your startup drive. Because the computer is now using a different operationg system than the one on your startup drive, the files will no longer be in use and you should be able to trash them.

- Don

Return to posts index

peppsirous
on Nov 10, 2005 at 7:55:09 pm

and where can i find that installation disk, do you mean the cd to install the operating system? because I only have one disk to restart it in the system preferences, i can't change to any other one.

Return to posts index

pedrovzqz
on Nov 11, 2005 at 11:30:03 am

i would give this a try..

http://www.macosxcocktail.com

it works fine for me.. !

Return to posts index

peppsirous
on Nov 11, 2005 at 7:50:52 pm

thanks pedro, it worked!!