FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not much room left...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Leone
Not much room left...
on Nov 9, 2005 at 2:33:28 pm

Hi all - I am still on a G4 867 editing with FCP 5. It's working great so why get a G5. The problem is, I have about 7 gigs on my HD and I can't keep upgrading stuff with this quickly dwindling space. My question is, can I dump duplicate Applications folders and my OS 9 folder (since I'll never go back) without screwing things up? I don't know where the duplicates come from - upgrading maybe? Any help and adivice on what I can get rid of would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: Not much room left...
on Nov 10, 2005 at 12:31:36 am

[Paul Leone] "an I dump duplicate Applications folders and my OS 9 folder (since I'll never go back) without screwing things up?"

Go winter-cleaning. Kill the OS9 system and apps, kill all duplicates (but why do youy get them?)

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Paul Leone
on Nov 10, 2005 at 1:58:08 am

Actually, it's only 1 extra OSX Applications folder. Don't know where it came from but it does not have the "A" symbol on it like the active folder does. I'm just worried that stuff is attached somehow and if I trash it, then my system will be all screwy. I'm sure it's fine to trash, I just wnated to hear from people who might have simular experiences of house cleaning. I need some room back!

Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
on Nov 11, 2005 at 9:36:01 am

Generally it is good advice to have AT LEAST 10% of the disk free and never less than equal to you RAM amont + 1 Gb because system and other apps randomly write to the disk to function properly.

As HD's are pretty cheap these days, and it is not supposed to be good practice to have media and system on same HD when working with FCP, you might consider buing an additional drive.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]