FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remote Access

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sutherland
Remote Access
on Nov 3, 2005 at 1:08:29 am

I'm out of town and trying to retrieve a file off of my edit system back at the office. I've done a search on this forum, as well as help in OSX, but I'm not getting a definitive answer/procedure for doing this. I've had an associate back at the office boot the machine, find the IP address, and activate "Remote Log In" in the sharing pane of preferences. I've followed the vague directions in apple help, but I'm missing something. Any help or direction would be great!

thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Remote Access
on Nov 3, 2005 at 1:15:40 am

hello...

hard to say without the specific error you're getting, but if you are inside a firewall/router/proxy server at the office then you won't be able to connect to it remotely without your firewall knowing about and forwarding the connection...

do you know if you a custom static ip for your box that is publicly available to the net? you can check that by looking in your network prefs (on the office box)...then also compare that ip to the ip that comes back when you hit a site like http://www.showmyip.com/ to see if you are behind some sort of proxy. but if your box address at the office is either (typically) 192.*.*.* or 10.*.*.* then you are behind a firewall...

if you are, then you're sorta out of luck without a vpn... :-/

sitruc

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: Remote Access
on Nov 3, 2005 at 2:22:38 am

If he is on a router or going through a "firewall" there are still ways to open ports and route to specific machines... It is possible. But tricky.

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to have the person in your office upload the file to a webserver and then download it yourself. I can give you a temp username and password to one of my machines if you don't have a way to do it yourself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]