FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewall Question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Vaughan
Firewall Question
on Oct 23, 2005 at 2:12:52 pm

Hi
This is an extremely dumb question as it is nearly impossible to answer without knowing what is on my computer, but for the life of me, I am stumped. So I figured I'd at least try.
When I try to activate the firewall settings under system prefs, I get the dialog stating that there is another firewall software running on my computer, and to deactivate it before I can work on the internal firewall settings. Issue is, I don't have any other firewall applications running on this computer.
My laptop, which is running nearly every application as the one I am running, is able to access the internal firewall settings. I realize this is nearly impossible to answer as you are not able to view what is actually on my computer, but perhaps someone has come across this and might know what could be causing this.

G4 Dual 867, 2GB RAM,
The main apps run are Adobe CS2 and AE 6.5, FCP 5 Studio Pro, Corel Painter IX, Sansurfer/Qlogic, RAID and Xsan Admin, as well as stock Tiger apps.

Thanks
Tim

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: Firewall Question
on Oct 27, 2005 at 4:30:11 am

Are you saying your desktop machine has issues when trying to open a port through the firewall settings in system preferences... and that your laptop does NOT have this issue when on your network?

Return to posts index

alexander serpico
Re: Firewall Question
on Oct 31, 2005 at 10:40:44 pm

This is an old and annoying problem that likely happened to you when you installed 10.3 over 10.2.
However i think it really should have fixed itself by now with your upgrades to 10.4.
Give this a try:

Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
Type: sudo pico /Library/Preferences/com.apple.sharing.firewall.plist
Press Return.
Enter your administrator password when prompted, and press Return.
Using the arrow keys, scroll down to these two lines:
(key) allports (/key)
(array)

Directly under "(array)", add a new line containing this text:
(string)515(/string)

Press Control-O to save the file, and Return to confirm.
Press Control-X to exit pico.
Restart the computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]