FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Tiger run well on an older G4?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey
Will Tiger run well on an older G4?
on Oct 15, 2005 at 5:33:07 pm

Just hijacked an old G4 from the graveyard at work. It's running OS9 now and I want to upgrade it to Tiger. Will this old dog be able to run Tiger or will I just have all kinds of speed and performance problems because of the older G4. It's a G4 400mhz single processor (the model just previous to the Quicksilver), 300mb RAM, 10GB HD. (I'm not interested in running FCP or any big fancy applications like that, just want to use it for home internet use.)

Also, it says on the Apple site that I can upgrade this G4 to have up to 2GB of RAM, is this actually possible?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: Will Tiger run well on an older G4?
on Oct 15, 2005 at 11:28:05 pm

[Jeffrey] "300mb RAM, 10GB HD. (I'm not interested in running FCP or any big fancy applications like that, just want to use it for home internet use.)

Ditch the HD and install a single 512MB Ram and you're running on the net. I've done a similar thing with my G3 400 and it works and crashes like it never did before. (Means: backs ups my files, browses the net and does not crash...). I filled the box up with old sub 120GB drives that I had ditched - and all of a sudden I have some hundred GBs worth of extra BU space over ethernet too.

Also, it says on the Apple site that I can upgrade this G4 to have up to 2GB of RAM, is this actually possible?"

Yes. But expensive...

Gunleik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]