FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not able to run Classic on G5 iMac????

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
Not able to run Classic on G5 iMac????
on Oct 15, 2005 at 5:12:55 pm

I have a G5 iMac 1.8 GHZ running Tiger...

My computer came without OS 9 installled (Classic) so I followed the instruction to installl it. Now it is in my System Preferences folder, but when I try to start Classic environment, it stops right at the beggining of the process; the progress bar doesn't progress much...

In reality, my origianl and still most important wish is to start up in OS 9.2.2 altogether, NOT within OS 10.4... is this possible ona G5? Or can I only run Classic within Tiger?

In any case, why can't I run Classic even within Tiger?

Any info very apppreciated...

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Not able to run Classic on G5 iMac????
on Oct 15, 2005 at 5:46:10 pm

You cannot boot into OS9 on any modern Mac. You say "it" is in "System Preferences" folder. What is in System Preferences should just be a Preference Pane called "Classic" which enables you to start up Classic mode and a few other options related to Classic startup and run.
If you actually installed the Classic environment, you should have a folder on your HD at root level called "System Folder" (not the same as a folder just called "System." if you don't have that, you don't have Classic installed.

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Its on my HD, but won't start up...!
on Oct 15, 2005 at 6:46:16 pm

OK, so there's no way I can install a full, independent, OS 9.2.2 environment on my G5...

But I DID go through the instrucitons to have a Classic environment WITHIN Tiger, and it appeared to have happened successfully, but when I chose to start up CLassic, it just stops at the first 5% of the progress bar of the Classic Startup window... Seems like it is getting stuck somwhere at startup.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help, BTW!

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Its on my HD, but won't start up...!
on Oct 16, 2005 at 4:36:46 am

Do you have a folder on your HD called "System Folder"? If you go to System Preferences and invoke the "Classic" pref pane, the Start/Stop tab will ask to Selcet a System folder for classic. If, after a bit, you see listed in the selection box an item called "System Folder," select it and click the Start button. If this is what you're seeing and doing, I'm not sure why it's not starting up, unless some component of the Classic install didn't happen properly. Assume you've done permissions repair before and since the install?
This doc from apple.com support may have some helpful info
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106677

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Permissions repair?
on Oct 17, 2005 at 10:33:12 am

I did all of the steps you described, and I DO have a System Folder (in fact, two: one in Portuguese and one in English, because I wanted the option... neither work, though)

Permissions repair? I don

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Permissions repair?
on Oct 17, 2005 at 8:55:45 pm

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Launch Disk Utility, select your startup volume from left side list. Click "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Go away for a little while; it will tell you when the operation is complete. There are times when read-write permissions data might get corrupted, preventing you from writing or installing files to certain folders, both visible and invisible. Permissions Repair should be done periodically as a routine maintenance procedure, but especially before and after any system-level installs or updates. More info available at apple.com/support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]