FORUMS: list search recent posts

Networking and Tiger 10.4.2

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Networking and Tiger 10.4.2
on Oct 12, 2005 at 4:53:02 pm

Hey gang....

I'm having real troubles here. My IT guy recently changed out my 100 m/bit router box to a gigabit box. Ever since then I have not been able to connect to my other Mac in the other room. Absolutely nothing has changed excpet the router. When I try to browse my Network, all I see is a blank window. It did work just once and briefly. Has anybody seen this? HELP ME!

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Moss
Re: Networking and Tiger 10.4.2
on Oct 13, 2005 at 2:27:31 am

could be a bad wire or connection. if you are using cat 5 wires sometimes the little colored wires inside the plugs come loose.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 13, 2005 at 2:34:21 pm

Well, after further investigation. I can access any computer if I know the physical IP address and type it in such as 192.168.1.133. BUT if I go into the Connect to Server window and click on Browse, my Network shows absolutely nothing. It seems like its trying to refresh but it never completes its task. And since our network doesn't have static IP addresses, I have to check each computer daily for its IP address that I want to connect to, and that's getting very annoying. Have you seen this?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 13, 2005 at 2:58:06 pm

hello...

well hmm. let's see. since you tracked down that you can connect via ip, this means that it's more a dns issue and you can't get machine names for your boxes. this could be an issue with your new router, since (as you noted) nothing else has changed...

a few things i can think of to try:

1. reboot both machines so that they get new ips and refresh themselves to the new router (if you haven't tried this yet)

2. plug a non-mac box (or 2) into the network and see if you can see it or vise-versa (or if you have 2 if they can see each other). that will help determine if it's a mac problem or a router problem or a specific computer problem

3. try connecting via your recent servers list to the other box- does the machine name resolve that way?

4. enter the path manually via the finder -> go -> connect to server - you can check the recent servers list for a proper value, or use a samba connection string like "smb://[machine]/[share]"

5. you could also at least temporarily just take 2 ips for each box - dhcp servers will start at 1, so if you have 10 computers in your network, you can safely take an ip above 10 and just keep it. that would at least get you connected...

just an early morning brain dump - with hope it's useful! :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 13, 2005 at 3:16:17 pm

Ok... tried rebooting. Nada! I already have a PC plugged into the new router, and it sees the network just fine except that it can't the two Macs that I have. If I connect using the recent servers, it does resolve the name when the login box appears. Yes, I do have to enter the IP address manually each day. Now, if I could jst get my IT guy to let me use static IP addresses for these Macs, it would be a work around BUT I still wouldn't be able to connect the PCs in my network.

Wow... that was a brain dump. I'm impressed and so early in the day. I've already tried everything except suggestion #5, that one I'll have to contact my IT guy about. Thanks for the help.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Oct 13, 2005 at 3:24:40 pm

hello...

ok - so your macs can't see anything and your pc can't see the macs. a final test to isolate the issue would be to plug another pc into the network and see if the 2 pcs can see each other. if they can, then it's going to be a case of the mac boxes and the new router not playing nice.

this is certainly possible. i have one of those older wireless linksys all-in-one routers here and my mac could not connect to it until i installed a firmware upgrade that linksys wouldn't even say was for macs specifically. your new router potentially could not "support" macs (which is really stupid and all that, but surprisingly a lot don't for some reason - they are written and set up for windows and little nits in windows that macs and the unix underneath don't have). at this point, i would hit the web site for the manufacturer of your router or also try google with the brand name or the product number and "os x" in quotes just like that. more often than not, you'll find somebody who has already dealt with this and can confirm or deny that your specific router is compatible with macs and what to do to get them happy with each other...

i know - routers being compatible with computers sounds dumb and it is, but whatchagonnado?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Oct 13, 2005 at 3:56:01 pm

Ok... I hooked up another PC (a laptop) to this router and the PCs see each other just fine. Sooooo, I guess that means there's either a setting in the router that's not right OR the router is incompatible with Macs at this time. Its a Linksys EG008W Gigabit router. It brand new and there are no software updates for it yet. I guess I'll just have to contact my IT guy for a solution to this. Man... what a pain to have to go through all of this. It seems like everybody in the outside world lives in a Windows environment only.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]