FORUMS: list search recent posts

17" PB - Tiger problem?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gunleik Groven
17" PB - Tiger problem?
on Oct 11, 2005 at 9:59:04 am

I'm pretty fresh on Tiger. I've sort of avoided it on my own machines. But as I've bought a 17" PB for a friend of mine, I've experienced some problems. Basically hanging during boot.

Seems to me this is a SW problem (HW test says everything is OK etc...). Repairing permitions seems to fix the problem, but the permitions seems to get f***'ed up pretty rapidly. Hm

Is this a known issue and perhaps: Is there a known solution?

PG G4 17" 1 Gb RAM OSX 10.4.2

Gunleik

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: 17" PB - Tiger problem?
on Oct 14, 2005 at 12:36:24 am

Start the Powerbook up off of the OS X installer disk. If it doesn't hang, then its a software problem as you guessed. While started off of the installer disk, open Disk Utility, from the pull down menus, and repair the startup drive and the permissions, then reboot.

Next run Apple Software Update and install all the latest versions of the OS and applications. When finished repair the permissions again and restart to see if it hangs. Hopefully, all will be working as it should. If not, post again and we'll give you some other solutions to try.

Tiger is an awesome OS and should work great with the 17" Powerbooks.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: 17" PB - Tiger problem?
on Oct 14, 2005 at 4:35:08 pm

Thanks.

Have done all the above.

Tiger works kind of ok - despite my networking woes. I've taken the plunge on one of my own machines now. (Other thread).
I'm particullary happy after disabling spotlight.

Gunleik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]