FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Ethernet Ports - possible?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Brock
Dual Ethernet Ports - possible?
on Oct 2, 2005 at 7:16:50 am

I would like to install an additional NIC card to connect to my local network - through a switch. And then I'd like to use the built in Ethernet port for connecting to the web via cable modem.

Is this configuration possible? FWIW, the machine in question is a G4 450MHz running 10.2.8.

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Dual Ethernet Ports - possible?
on Oct 2, 2005 at 8:42:52 pm

I think I understand. Yes, it should work fine (I can't remember any limitations to the older OS X that would be a problem off the top of my head). However, why not just uplink directly from your switch to your cable modem (you switch should have an uplink port for that)? That way your whole network has access to the Internet and you don't have to buy another card. You can turn-on you Mac's built-in Firewall if additional security is an issue.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Kevin Brock
on Oct 3, 2005 at 4:52:42 pm

Thanks so much for the input. However, I think the switch is the weak link in the chain. At home, I personally have an "internet router" whereby there's a WAN port that the modem plugs into and then 4 LAN ports that the individual machines connect to. I don't think though, that the switch in question has this ability. Maybe? But if a PCI NIC card would work then that's only a $10 investment.

Furthermore at the facility in question, this Mac is going to be connected to at least one PC. If possible I'd like to keep the PC(s) off the web anyway and let the Mac be the front line, but let all machines talk to one another.

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Oct 3, 2005 at 9:07:46 pm

Everyone who runs Panther or Tiger Server boxes usually has two or even more ethernet ports active.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

Kevin Brock
on Oct 4, 2005 at 5:43:19 am

That's encouraging. Thanks for the additional input. I figured it would work - I just wanted to hear some others validate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]