FORUMS: list search recent posts

formatting external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Gray
formatting external hard drive
on Sep 29, 2005 at 4:40:18 am

I am wanting to back up all the data that I used to create my video demo. With all the original material, project files, and re-rendered media it has come out to a whole lot of space... around 20 gigs. So I bought an external hard drive so that I can drag and drop all the files and back them up. It is important that I can take this drive and use it to transfer some of the files to Windows computers.

Before I do all this, do I need to format the external hard drive in the disk utility program? If so do I use "Mac OS Extended," or "Mac OS Extended (Journaled?) And what's the difference? And if I use one of these methods will it run on a Windows machine?

The drive is a Wester Digital 160 gig USB 2.0/Firewire drive. Thanks in advance friendly bovines. -Justin

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: formatting external hard drive
on Sep 29, 2005 at 9:52:02 pm

Buy MacDrive 6: http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6//

It will allow your PC to read/write Mac formatted disks. It is easy to use and works. Don't waste your time trying to find another workaround or a free solution. I'd probably just format you drive Mac OS Extended (not journaled) in this case.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Justin Gray
Re: formatting external hard drive
on Sep 30, 2005 at 12:57:02 am

thanks a bunch Tony!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]