FORUMS: list search recent posts

won't shut down

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bcantrll
won't shut down
on Sep 27, 2005 at 1:55:47 pm

I just bought a dual 2.7 a few weeks ago. It wouldn't shut down. if i did a manual shut down using the power button then i couldn't get it to consistently turn on. the mac store locally tested some things and suggested to send it back DOA. I got my new one in yesterday and it does the same thing. It powers down enough to lose signal to my monitor and then it restarts. After holding down the power button. It won't start now.

any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: won't shut down
on Sep 27, 2005 at 7:31:31 pm

Try starting up after each of the following (only do what you feel comfortable with)

Verify the power outlet is good - try a different one on a different circuit and make sure nothing else is plugged in (the power coming from your outlet could be wrong/bad and you may want to have an electrician check it out)

Replace the power cord

Make sure the voltage switch on the back of the power supply is set to the correct voltage

Disconnect any external devices (monitor, keyboard, mouse, firewire drives, scanner, printer, etc)

Remove internal cards

Disconnect internal hard drive/s (it won't completely startup, but will get far enough to see if the HD was the problem)

Take if back to an Apple authorized repair shop ( you may have a bad power supply or logic board. Getting two bad ones in a row is extremely unlikely though, I've never had one and I've bought a lot of Mac's. I would suspect your homes power if that is the case).

Good Luck,

Tony!

Return to posts index

bcantrll
on Sep 27, 2005 at 7:40:19 pm

I disconnected the monitor, which is a westinghouse, cinema display 17" , and everything seems to be working well. I can shut down with different monitors attached.

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Sep 27, 2005 at 8:34:25 pm

You can try re-seating the video card to see if that helps. Also, try the problem monitor (Cinema Display 17") on another Mac to see if the other Mac has the same problem with it. Other than that, you go to Apple support site to search the knowledge base and discussion forums to see if you can find a solution or similar issue reported/discussed. Most likely, you'll need to give Apple a call let them know what you found out and get their solution directly. At least we/you narrowed it down.

Tony!

Return to posts index

JRF
by
on Dec 5, 2005 at 5:07:57 pm

It's been a while since your post, but I ran into the case where certain monitor cables were wired in such a way that the pin that was used for turn on-shut down was connected incorrectly. These cables are used for PCs, etc. and didn't take Apple requirements into consideration. The result is what you're experiencing.

John

Dual 2.5 G5 4 gigs RAM OS 10.3.8 QT6.5.2

Dual Cinema 23 Radeon 9800

FCP4.5 DVDSP 3.0.2

Huge U-320R 1TB Raid 3 firmware ENG12.BIN

ATTO UL4D driver 3.20

AJA IO driver 1.3.1 firmware v21-26

SonicStudio HD DAW, Yamaha DM1000, Genelec Monitors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]