FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lacie drive won't mount

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sethx22
Lacie drive won't mount
on Sep 26, 2005 at 9:29:13 pm

I'm on a G5 trying to mount a Lacie FireWire drive. I have five of them, exactly the same model,four of which work fine, and one that doesn't show up on the desktop or disk utility at all. i've tried sending it through the usb, but i get the same problem. Does this have to mean there's something physically wrong with the drive or can the problem just be my computer.(NOTE: i've tried it on other computers and gotten the same results)

-thanks
Seth

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Lacie drive won't mount
on Sep 26, 2005 at 11:33:52 pm

Return to posts index

Sethx22
on Sep 27, 2005 at 2:38:54 pm

For the updater to work, the computer must first recognize that the drive is there and it's not doing that. Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 27, 2005 at 4:22:48 pm

Do any of the other computers you've tried the drive with still have OS9 installed? Sometimes people have reported that problem drives will show up in OS9 but not in OSX. Just a thought.......

- Don

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Sep 27, 2005 at 6:33:06 pm

Sorry Seth, I misread your post. I thought you could see the FW drive with disk utility. You may have to give this a try if there are files that need to be recovered on it:

http://www.prosoftengineering.com/products/data_rescue.php?PHPSESSID=f10ae6...

Tony!

Return to posts index

smoothoperator
on Oct 1, 2005 at 2:37:35 pm

I haven't been visiting the cow in a long time I just happened to see this post. We've had the same problem with 2 lacie firewire drives with critical data on them. Your only hope is to keep unpluging/pluging the drive, turning it on and off..and try restarting your computer too until it pops up. Also give it some time to cool down before trying over and over again as the disc expand due to the heat and causes the problem to be worse ( even a day to cool it would be prudent ). Try running disc first aid utility and see if it manages to see it. As soon as it does mount in any which way..assess what the most critical of data there is on there and transfer that first. A little at a time though and keep track of it. Trying to transfer too much too soon will cause the drive to stall and then you will have to replace that transfer all over again.
We managed to get our data from them after days of trying over and over. We'll never buy these drives again though.

+smooth+

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]