FORUMS: list search recent posts

G5 / SCSI Blues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve d.
G5 / SCSI Blues
on Sep 22, 2005 at 6:11:00 pm

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction... I have a G5 Dual 2.0, 3 gigs ram, 10.4.2, Atto UL3D-66, and a Medea RT-3 drive that will not mount, erase or partition. This problem started back in June (under 10.3.9) and has been consistent all summer. I have changed SCSI cards, cables, drivers, flash etc, etc ... the drive was sent to Medea twice, and always checked out OK. I also have a G4 Dual 1.0 (10.3.9) that WILL mount, initialize and verifiy the drive with no problems. I've repaired permissions on the G5 and re-installed various versions of OS from 10.3.1 to 10.4.2 with no luck.
Hardware test passes everything (including RAM). Using Atto Raid Stripe, it sees the drive as being "full", and will not initialize. Disk Utility will start partitioning, but will hang-up immediately, and never finish. Othertimes, it just gives the
error message (-5344) and won't even try. What am I missing? Why will the G4 work with this drive...but not the G5?
Even if I initialize on the G4 and bring the drive back to the G5, it fails to see the volume. Ideas?

Return to posts index

bogiesan
Re: G5 / SCSI Blues
on Sep 28, 2005 at 7:51:41 pm

If the drive works, it works.
You say it started in June so I assume your Med

Return to posts index

steve d.
on Sep 28, 2005 at 10:19:37 pm

Thanks for the comments. The drive worked flawlessly for 9 months under 10.3.4 thru 10.3.9 using a Adaptec 39160. It first
disappeared after a hard crash while using FCP 4.5 during a edit to tape. Thereafter, it would not mount, although it was seen in System Profiler. Medea initially blamed the SCSI card, and said put a Atto in the G5. That made no difference and the drive was sent to Medea for repair. They could not find any issues with it, but replaced the RAID controller on it just to be sure. Atto said
change the cable. Done, no difference. You mentioned the PCI connection on the G5 going bad. I've run Apple Hardware Test
with everything passing. I'm currently using 10.4.2, but recently put 10.3.9 on a clean drive and tried it, same results. I have
tried different RAM confiqurations, put the SCSI board in different slots, removed the Kona 2 from the system, everything I can
think of. Meanwhile, both boards (Adaptec & Atto) and the drive work flawlessly when installed in my G4 (10.3.9) I know the issue
is with the G5, but I don't know where to look (and neither does support at Atto or Medea)

Return to posts index

willisub
on Sep 29, 2005 at 4:53:50 pm

Maybe it's time to go to apple. Sounds like a motherboard problem or related. It's obvious that the hardware (scsi card, cables, and drives work) and you did a clean install with different versions of the software.

What's left is the computer. Have it checked out at by Apple.

Return to posts index

bogiesan
on Oct 3, 2005 at 9:19:37 pm

> Meanwhile, both boards (Adaptec & Atto) and the drive work flawlessly when installed in my G4 (10.3.9) I know the issue
is with the G5, but I don't know where to look (and neither does support at Atto or Medea)
<

Yar, sorry, but that's your only choice at the moment. You performed a binary test and the only thing left that could possibly be at fault is the G5.

bogiesan

This is my standard sigfile so do not take it personally: "For crying out loud, read the freakin' manual."

Return to posts index

steve d.
on Oct 3, 2005 at 9:27:12 pm

Thanks for the input guys, it's always helpful to get a fresh viewpoint on a problem (forests & trees). I've left the Medea running on the G4 since last week and it's very happy. Cheers...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]