FORUMS: list search recent posts

itunes library from external drive??

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd at UCSB
itunes library from external drive??
on Sep 9, 2005 at 5:49:53 pm

Hi All,
I don't think this is possible, BUT is there a way to run itunes song from an external FW drive?

I don't think it can because everytime you import a song to be played, it writes/copies the mp3 files to the itunes library in the home directory. I'm trying to save a little drive space ( i don't have much left!) by keeping all my music files off the internal drive.

Thanks,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: itunes library from external drive??
on Sep 9, 2005 at 5:55:36 pm

hello...

you can change your library location and also set the preference for copying the file into the library in the advanced area of the itunes prefs...

i used to have my library on a mounted drive, and it worked fine, although i recall that itunes got really grumpy if it's library wasn't there for it to mount when you opened it...but that was a few versions ago, so it might be better and i don't have it that way anymore regardless...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: itunes library from external drive??
on Sep 9, 2005 at 6:29:45 pm

I THINK what you want to do, is to first change the location of the library somewhere in iTune's prefrences.

I don't think anything will move at that point...only new songs will go there. So what you want to do is to go to the "Advanced" menu and select "Consolidate Library." I think that will then copy all of your music into the new library. The old one might remain, you have to go erase it yourself using Finder.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but I'm not 100% sure. You may want to read through the program's help file to see if you find anything like that in there before you try it.

Return to posts index

Kurt
YEAH itunes library from external drive??
by
on Sep 12, 2005 at 5:43:28 am

Don't listen either of these guys

In the iTunes prefs, under the "Advanced" tab, deselect "Copy files to iTunes Library...."

Then import. iTunes wil reference it from that drive.

*Don't make too big a habit of this, gets messy over time.

K

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: YEAH itunes library from external drive??
on Sep 12, 2005 at 6:44:38 am

hello...

[Kurt] "*Don't make too big a habit of this, gets messy over time."

ok so i'm confused - you tell him to ignore the advice of moving the library to the desired location in favor of your solution, but then you follow that up with the caveat that your solution sucks?

furthermore, if you properly read my post that you so blatantly told him to disregard, you'll see my reference to the same thing you mention here:

"and also set the preference for copying the file into the library"

alrighty then.

sitruc

Return to posts index

Kurt
Re: YEAH itunes library from external drive??
by
on Sep 12, 2005 at 8:16:09 am

oh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]